Canned Gasoline

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I need some opinions (especially with E15 blender pumps on the horizon)...

I've always pre mixed my gas and Stihl 50-1 oil in a gallon Blitz can but is the canned gas pre mixed in 40 or 50-1 a better deal?

My local farm and fleet has gallons on sale either way for 19 bucks a shot.

I don't use a bunch so I don't want ethanol laced crap sitting around let alone uckering one of my saws or brushcutter....

Look for a station in your area that sells non ethanol gas. Marinas can be a source too.

http://www.pure-gas.org

I run ethanol in the vehicles, but all small engines except the lawn mower get E0 gas.

Reactions: CenterTree
Lots use canned gas for storage, but just run pump gas in their saws day to day.

Reactions: TreePointer
Canned fuel = $19/gallon (your price)
Mix your own = ~$5/gallon right now ($2.50/gal. gasoline + 2.6 oz. 2-cycle oil)

I go through a lot of 2-cycle fuel so canned fuel is too expensive for me. As mentioned, I only use canned fuel just before storing OPE for the off season.

My brother, on the other hand, uses his chainsaw maybe once or twice a year to cut a small limb or two that falls in his yard. Canned fuel makes sense for him because one 32 oz. container will last him a long time without going bad.

I need some opinions (especially with E15 blender pumps on the horizon)...

I've always pre mixed my gas and Stihl 50-1 oil in a gallon Blitz can but is the canned gas pre mixed in 40 or 50-1 a better deal?

My local farm and fleet has gallons on sale either way for 19 bucks a shot.

I don't use a bunch so I don't want ethanol laced crap sitting around let alone uckering one of my saws or brushcutter....

It's not a better deal pure financially speaking. But it is a surefire way to go. I use a lot of mix year round. I've got a routine now where I incorporate E0 with 2-cycle oil and a measured amount of Klotz that I use in all my small engines (chainsaws, trimmer, mower) and I never have fuel issues. Before I did this I used ethanol and I always had issues. If I were in your shoes and I didn't burn enough fuel to get a routine going I'd just use Stihl's pre-mixed fuel. Your saws will be reliable.

It's not a better deal pure financially speaking. But it is a surefire way to go. I use a lot of mix year round. I've got a routine now where I incorporate E0 with 2-cycle oil and a measured amount of Klotz that I use in all my small engines (chainsaws, trimmer, mower) and I never have fuel issues. Before I did this I used ethanol and I always had issues. If I were in your shoes and I didn't burn enough fuel to get a routine going I'd just use Stihl's pre-mixed fuel. Your saws will be reliable.

I don't use that much volume so a gallon or 2 would last a season. Thanks for the input.

I don't use that much volume so a gallon or 2 would last a season. Thanks for the input.
At that volume, I'd just buy canned. It ain't gonna break the bank, I hope.

BP in International Falls, MN has this option. As far as I know they are the only one in the area. Can't get that option in Canada:(

According to Pure Gas.com I have a couple stations nearby that sell E0. One is 111 octane which would probably blow the heads off my saws and the other a ways away is 91, but that still leaves me the 'I have to mix' option whereas canned gas is already mixed saving me some time and more bottles of mix oil on the shelf. If I used a lot, E0 would be the wat ro go. I don't (maybe 2 gallons a year) so canned is ideal.

Last time I was in Canada, it was in Alberta for a Stone Sheep hunt.

Good option for light use of mixed oil. We like to keep the higher octane w/o ethanol for use in generator or snowblower if needed.

Good option for light use of mixed oil. We like to keep the higher octane w/o ethanol for use in generator or snowblower if needed.

My snowblower has a turbo diesel (farm tractor) and the genny is LP fired. No issue with either of those (glad of that)....

I nicely asked my wife to stop at the coop and pick me up a gallon in 50-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.