Cannot move heat from stove room.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt93eg

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2013
North Carolina
Hello,

I cannot seem to move heat from my Den(where the wood insert is) to the back part of my house. This is an old Black Bart Model 3200 so its probably a bit undersized for this house as its 1,500 Square feet although I can't find much info on the Black Bart. I have a new stove coming this week with 6" liner kit. The current stove is direct connected to first flue tile.

Right now the stove room is 78 degrees, 15 feet from the stove you enter the hallway leading to bedrooms, another 5 feet is the thermostat for the heat pump, so roughly 20 feet from the stove is where the T-Stat is. So currently the stove room is 78 and only 20 feet away the T-Stat is showing 70. The master bedroom is 64. I have a 12" round fan sitting on an end table about 4 feet from the hallway opening and its pointing down the hallway. Have the ceiling fan in stove room running at low speed and turning clockwise.

I need to get some of this heat out of my Den and into the rest of house. What am I doing wrong?

Try setting the fan on the floor. Make sure your blowing the cold air into the stove room and not trying to blow the hot air out of the stove room

Ok I will try that, currently the fan is about waste high and is blowing air down the hall which is away from the stove room. So I will put it on floor and let it blow towards stove room.

Is the fan pointed into the stove room?
Oops to slow

So I guess the goal is to pull the cold air to the stove room to be heated, and heated air will displace itself to the colder areas?

Definitely blow cold air towards the stove and along the floor. If that helps great. I can't think clockwise/counterclock wise but step one is change the floor fan direction in the hallway. Measure what if any positive effect. If it has desired effect great, if it works somewhat but not enough I would try and reverse the ceiling fan direction next. I have my ceiling fan blowing air down and that works for me best (not sure if this is clockwise). It is a simple task to try reversing your ceiling fan and seeing if that makes a further difference. But i wouldn't change both simultaneously.

What is the new stove?

I would imagine with a new stove, a liner instead of a direct vent you are doing now you will see an increased amount of heat into the stove room. Is the liner kit insulated? Do you have a block-off plate planned?

Yea blow the cold to the stove. That cold air is on the floor and is more dense than hot air that is on the ceiling. You will push the cold to the stove and the hot will travel the ceiling to replace the cold air. If you cant move the 78 degree air 20 ft Dow the hall your not doing it right. I can heat between 1500-2000sqft of my uninsulated home with just my insert, depending upon the outside temps. That is how much is heated. Very cold nights 400 unused Sqft are blocked off.

I have 3 small fans working on the 2 different sides to the stove room to blow air back to that room.

Charles1981, The new stove is nothing fancy, it is a Drolet Escape 1800i insert. Yes the new 6" liner that I will be installing with the new stove will be insulated. I ordered the complete liner kit as well as the optional 1/2" insulation blanket to wrap around the pipe. Also will be doing the block off plate and insulating above that with Roxul.

clemsonfor, I need to get a few more fans. What is a good size fan? Currently I am using a small round 12" fan and running it on high, moves a decent about of hair for a small fan. I have a bigger fan that moves a lot of air but haven't used it because even on low it makes a lot of noise. But I need to try it I will.

In my case, a 12 inch fan on low isn't working as well as the smaller fan we had (seized).....and putting it on high is even worse (moving cold air faster than the hot air can replace ??)....trial and error will tell what works best

Get the white fan off amazon that's $14.99 if u want more power, which is a fan I'd get, as u can run it on low get the Honeywell turbo fan for $15.99 off amazon. There like 8" round? I have both n use both. But honestly I like the 12" ocilating fans pretty good.

This is what we have Matt and it works great >>
Its been up for 5/6 years and by the looks of it i need to get a new one :cool:
9ft ceiling mind you and i do not have the big fan going.

The bedrooms are nice and warm down the hallway.

loon

Last edited:
loon, That is neat!! Not sure I could swing something like that since I have 8ft ceilings and when you account for the door frame(which your opening there doesn't have) I would be ducking below it.

On the contrary I seem to be doing better with this heat distribution this morning. Currently the stove temp(Magnet thermo. is on the face of stove above doors)is reading 450 degrees, Stove room is 77. T-Stat in hallway reading 72 and my bedroom in far end of house reading about 67. I think I can do better with more fans. Right now I just have the one on the floor running on low, also reversing the ceiling fan and running it clockwise on low seems to be helping. 68 or so in our bedroom is fine, the flannel sheets keep you warm anyways and I can't sleep hot.

As beer belly said above, its trial and error and I will eventually figure this out. Hopefully the new stove I install this next weekend with the 6" insulated liner, block off plate will make the job easier.

Clemson, thanks for those fan links, I will check them out!

Ok I will try that, currently the fan is about waste high and is blowing air down the hall which is away from the stove room. So I will put it on floor and let it blow towards stove room.
Run it on the floor at low speed. Push the denser cold air down low toward the stove room. The cold air will be replaced by warm air up high. If you hang some toilet paper strips from the ceiling you can see this happening.

It's easier to work with nature than agin her.

Matt the ceiling is almost 9ft.my mistake ;) But this type of fan is not for everybody as it seems outta place. We dont even notice it there or running :cool:

begreen is right with the low fan but the house would look kinda funny decorated with toiletpaper ::-)

Not so my friend. Got to go with the season ;)
. Capture.JPG

Welcome to the forum Matt.

About all I can add is to try moving that fan at different spots in the hallway. Ours seems to work best at the start of the hallway and we use a small vornado fan set on the lowest speed.
vornado fan.png

That toilet paper is awesome! Didn't have a chance today to get any other fans so I will be working with just the one again tonight. Spent all day gathering up wood. The fan I am using right now is running on low, its and door way to the hallway and stove room blowing air towards the stove, I need another one on the other end of the hall blowing towards this fan to help get more cool air from the rear of the house to the stove.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions with this heat distribution, I am pretty new to burning wood so I still have a lot to figure out. I sure enjoy it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.