Can't decide between Spectrum or Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
Our next door neighbor just installed the Spectrum Classic. Great stove. He put in 3 medium sized soft maple splits around 9:30 pm and still had live coals next morning at 6:30 am. I'm impressed. Not getting anything like that from the Castine so far.

That's impressive

Whats the sqft like? Primary heat sourse? I take it your neighbors are happy with there purchase!

Sounds good Willhound. I would be happy if I didn't have tp play with the damper when reloading.

House is about 1400 sq ft. They have an oil furnace as primary, but have about 5 cords of soft maple rounds and another 2 split so I think they'll be burning a whole lot more now. (And we have 2 more cords from the same trees). They had an 80's Resolute that was pretty leaky, so this is a major improvement. I'm going to help him rebuild the VC this winter for his brother in law.

The EBT is a great feature to have .......
I have burned wood for many years before owning the Summit so i am still used to opening the damper all the way before opening the door. The hardest idea to overcome was not having a few screw air inlet dampers , a chimney damper and all the extra setting you have to mess with on the old stoves. I was also used to poking the fire of the old stoves every 2 hours and throwing 1 new log.
The EBT has me spoiled for sure .
It took me a long wile to get used to throwing in a few logs , letting them char and with 1 adjustment controlling the fire and forgetting about it for 6-12 hours.

has anyone suggested a Harman Oakwood Stove.. Has the same type everburn technology shared by other manufactures
Extended burns by thermoatically controled secondary air and smokless top loading.
Harman is as good a brand/manufactures as any in the business Quadra fire Cumberland Gap?

elkimmeg said:
has anyone suggested a Harman Oakwood Stove.. Has the same type everburn technology shared by other manufactures
Extended burns by thermoatically controled secondary air and smokless top loading.
Harman is as good a brand/manufactures as any in the business Quadra fire Cumberland Gap?
I would guess the topic didnt come up because the thread topic was :
"Can’t decide between Spectrum or Summit "

I have heard you mention it Elk but not a lot of detailed information.

The Oakwood et all don't have the tight clearances that the PE stoves have, so I assumed that is a factor. If not, I'd give it a good thought. You can even grille in it.

Looked at the Oakwood online and it seems like a nice stove, but that thing requires it's own room! 19" clearance corner install and that is with double wall pipe, I would have to build an addition. LOL

Well it's a done deal. Just got back from the stove shop...ordered the Summit Classic in Black with nickel door/legs/trivet. Dealer is doing the install Dec 8. Still trying to decide what we're going to name her.LOL

You deserve a cold one opps wrong threat to post in
Don't tell Roo I said this but PE makes fine stoves
excellent choice and letup know about the install and ignition

Gunner said:
Well it's a done deal. Just got back from the stove shop...ordered the Summit Classic in Black with nickel door/legs/trivet. Dealer is doing the install Dec 8. Still trying to decide what we're going to name her.LOL
Congrads on the new stove! Its was a long hard wait from my order time to when it was delivered to the dealer. ( I picked her up and installed myself)

Awesome color combo you went with , that was my second choice but i have a "thing" for maroon so it was settled.

Its funny you mentioned naming your stove, its not been brought up so i didn't offer ........

My Summit is "Queen Bethany" heheheh......
"Queen" because of the queen ann legs .
"Beth" because of the KISS song Beth ... Slow rolling song like the fire in the stove ...
"any" because she will burn ANY log i load in her....

;-)

Attachments

• sspsucbkn.jpg
    sspsucbkn.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 315
I will post pics and write-up after install.

Queen Bethany is a good one...

I like Black Beauty for mine.LOL

Edit- I added it to my signature :lol:

Congrats Gunner, it is indeed a beauty. I am a little envious because with my Summit being an insert it ain't as pretty as the free standing units, and I have to shovel my ash into a steel pail. On the other hand, it easily heats my 1800 sq.ft house even at -40, so I'm happy, happy, happy. Especially after putting up with the cold draft caused by the wide open masonry fireplace for 7 years before the insert went in. My only regret is that I hadn't done it sooner.

I can't wait until you can fire that puppy up and then you can see for yourself what we keep yappin' about.

Status
Not open for further replies.