can't decide, Lopi Leyden vs. Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all cast iron stoves are seam gasketed, many are cemented. There are folks here that have been heating for a decade or more with a Jotul F500, F600, F12 or Quad Isle Royale that have not had to rebuild. But I do like the combo of a steel firebox with the cast iron jacket. It allows a deeper firebox, closer clearances and our house is best served by a convective stove.

Last edited:
I would agree but with a caveat. A cast-iron jacketed stove can behave much like a soapstone stove due to the mass of the jacket and indirect heating. The Cumberland Gap is a jacketed stove like the Alderleas, Enviro Boston, BK Ashford and Jotul F45/50/55. Like soapstone, these stoves will be much less radiant than a non-jacketed cast iron stove. Cast iron stoves like the Isle Royale or Jotul F400/500/600 are much more radiant and heat up more quickly than a soapstone or jacketed cast iron stove.
Does Quadra fire still make Cumberland Gap? It's not listed on the QF website.

Good catch. There has been a recent change. It looks like it may have been replaced by a same-sized front loader called the Explorer II. (No explanation of what was the Explorer I.) This could be a good opportunity to pick up a Cumberland Gap at a lower price as dealers clear inventory.

That must have been really recent. Just a few weeks ago I checked the height of the rear vent of the Cumberland at Quadra's website and found it without problem. Could really be a good opportunity to find a closeout model on the cheap. Jotul also has a $200 off coupon on their website currently. Good until the end of the month: http://jotul.com/us/home/save-200-off-any-jøtul

Interesting... I like the look of the cumberland gap a little better but the mantel clearance is notably lower on the new explorer model. If the cumberland had that mantel clearance it would have been on my short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.