Can't Decide Wood or Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chops67

Nov 12, 2009
S.Jersey
I recently moved into my new home 2200 sq ft colonial equipped with a fireplace. Gas heat. I would like to use fireplace but not sure which way to go. I thought I wanted a pellet for ease but after talking to some dealers (that don't stock them) I don't know which way to go. I hear that pellets can be hard to find and $$$. Also problems with moving parts and seals. I'm not so sure I wan't to deal with building a fire though with a wood burning. Has anyone else found themselves with the same dilemma?

I was in your same situation last year, after many months of research I decided on a wood stove and will never regret it. There are things to consider. Are you able to or want to cut wood or will you have to buy. Do you mind hauling wood into your house? Are you going to burn 24/7? All these and more will help you decide. I personally didn't buy an ounce of fuel oil last year and didn't use any out of my tank. Our house is warm the wife is happy and I get to spend time outside in the woods whenever I want.

Sounds like you might want a gas fireplace--no moving parts except the blower, no fire to build.

I don't see myself burning 24/7, probably real cold spells, weekends, holidays. If a pellet to take the chill off. Not crazy about gas, what if cost goes through the roof.

How long does it take to get a fire going in a wood burning?

With the price of natural gas this year, and probably next year, if I had a gas line to this house my stoves would have flower pots sitting on them for a while. Wood and pellet.

chops67 said:
I don't see myself burning 24/7, probably real cold spells, weekends, holidays. If a pellet to take the chill off. Not crazy about gas, what if cost goes through the roof.

gas is for you! so what about price! pellets prices can go through the roof and if you arent into to it wood can be a royal pain!..... gas is a flick --on--off has a much better looking fire than pellet
i have done more work on my pellet stove and wood stove (nothing major just maint) than my gas stove and my gas stove has been here the longest!

There are "issues" (things which should be considered seriously) with either a woodstove or a pellet stove. The sheer volume of fuel that must be obtained and properly stored and moved around is right up at the top of the list in either case. Another consideration is the cost of purchase and installation...it's non-trivial, so you really wanna kind of "know" you're gonna like what you end up with. Take your time. Ask lots more questions and look around on these forums and do some searches before you make any decision. Rick

Orriginally a city boy, now in the burbs, I've always liked the idea of having a fire going on a cold night. Maybe gas is right it just seems like cheeting.

Pellet priced out at $5371. installed w/ tax Harmon accentra.
Wood at $3906 w/tax installed Regency i3100
I'll have to look into gas

Heating with wood is a lifestyle. If you aren't sure about making the commitment to the maintenance and space needed for fuel I'd go for gas.

Maybe you could visit somebody you know with a wood or pellet stove.

Matt

chops67 said:

Half hour, tops.

You said "gas heat". Does that mean you already have a gas-fired central heating system in the house? If so, and you just want some sort of alternate burner for the ambience/satisfaction/warmth, then go for it. If you've got the $$$ to spend, and it would bring you pleasure, by all means put in some sort of burner to supplement/preclude your gas furnace. Where my wife and I live, we don't have gas available, nor do we have oil or propane. We're all electric, so I'm a wood burner. Even so, the central electric furnace comes on from time to time during the heating season, most often early in the morning for a little while. No biggie, our electricity is pretty cheap, and we both enjoy doing the wood thing...at least for now while we're still able (we're both ~60 y/o). But it's a lot of work. Having an easy alternate source of heat is prudent while you're young, and absolutely essential as you age, IMO. Rick

Do wood stoves make your home dusty or create any other types of problems if so are pellets considered cleaner. My wife is scared that we will have problems.

If pellets are not an easily and affordable fuel, they don't make fiscal sense. Sounds like wood is perceived as a messy hassle. Well partly true. It is work and a hassle at times.

No problem, it's not for everyone. If just for ambiance, maybe put in a gas insert? There is a gas forum here that is open to queries if this is the best fit.

We went through the same dilemma on deciding between pellet or wood. The following made it easy for me:

1.) We live in NH and could not find a pellet tree anywhere, also tried planting, however; the little buggers don't seem to grow from seed. ;-P

2.) Given we could not grow our own that left us hostage to a manufacturers, distributor and retailers to purchase said pellets. (prices seem to fluctuate with other common heating fuels, i.e. gas, fuel oil).

3.) We have had a gas fireplace in the past and it was expensive to run, looked like a gas fire (not as nice as wood) although did produce good heat.

4.) The only gas available where we live now is in a tank and this is very expensive compared to natural gas.

You will certainly need at minimum space to store 2 cord or firewood for the cold nights and weekends (whether you process it yourself or buy it cut and split) On the same hand you will need space for at least a couple of pallets of pellets if you decide on that route. Finally, you would need a pocket full of Benjamin Franklin's to burn gas. The decision was pretty easy for us, however; everyone and every situation is different. Wood can often be perceived as messy, but nothing that a couple of minutes a day tiding up the firebox wont solve.

I think I let my bias show, but wood is a nice option if you are up for it. Best of luck.

B.

I spend most of my time in the room with the fireplace. What kind of temps can I expect with a I3100 Regency at med optimal burn. 13' x 24'x10' ceiling opens to kitchen on one end and foyer on other. Ceiling on same level. House pretty tight. Ceiling fans as well.

Need 'um floor plan.

And welcome to the forums !!

If its a pellet stove buy a Harman otherwise go with a wood burning stove. Stay away from Quadrafire. Hardly a day goes by without someone asking for help with their quadra-fire.

I have a regular old brick and mortar fireplace that had a gas line for quick no kindling fire starting. So I could convert it easily to a gas insert. However, I would still have to pay for the Natural gas. I like the coffee maker qualities of the pellet stove, set it at night and in the morning presto warm house. However the flame er, torch that thing puts out is not as nice to watch as the flame from a real fireplace or an insert. So I decided to go with a wood burning insert. I can get a wood cutting permit for $10 per cord and spend a day or two up in the mountains enjoying the outdoors and get my own wood. It's cheap, I get exercise, and the wife enjoys watching the manly man splitting wood at home(wearing a red and black flannel shirt of course). So my recommendation is, if you are the do it yourself kind of guy and want to heat your home for less money then get a wood burning insert. If you are burning for ambiance but want more efficiency than an open fire then wood or pellet but the flame is like a torch with pellet and don't forget you'll have to store the pallets of pellets. If your the kind of person that rather pay someone to fix things around the house and do not want nor have room to store cords of wood or pallets of pellets then gas is your baby and it has a better flame than pellet. Good luck with your decision and regardless of what it is. There is a wealth of information here on either option.

THEMAN said:
So my recommendation is, if you are the do it yourself kind of guy and want to heat your home for less money then get a wood burning insert. If you are burning for ambiance but want more efficiency than an open fire then wood or pellet but the flame is like a torch with pellet and don't forget you'll have to store the pallets of pellets. If your the kind of person that rather pay someone to fix things around the house and do not want nor have room to store cords of wood or pallets of pellets then gas is your baby and it has a better flame than pellet. Good luck with your decision and regardless of what it is. There is a wealth of information here on either option.

What he said...I enjoy cutting wood and splitting with a maul - it was a no-brainer for me.

I also like the off-market availability of wood. Pellets, gas, oil all have to be processed and cannot really be obtained for less than market prices like wood.

Pete

The satisfaction from the fruits of my labor make burning wood very enjoyable.

zinfit said:
If its a pellet stove buy a Harman otherwise go with a wood burning stove. Stay away from Quadrafire. Hardly a day goes by without someone asking for help with their quadra-fire.

Hardly a day goes by without someone asking for help with their wood stove either...

When you need help, you need help. We're literally playing with fire here...

Matt

Did the OP ever say if he had natural gas or propane? I scanned the thread and didnt notice. For me that would go a long way in making a suggestion

I have gas, pellets, and wood and everything said above is pretty much true.

I can't say that I recommend pellets to anyone these days. Pellet supply and prices have been all over the map for the last 4 or 5 years. They require regular extensive cleanings, electricity to run, and the "show" isn't exactly romantic. With that said, pellets are slightly cleaner, easier, and more automated than wood... but not substantially enough for me to recommend them given the shortcomings with going that direction.

NG is pretty nice if you don't mind spending the money. Obviously prices can fluctuate drastically, so if that's not a big deal, this might be the way for you to go. The flames typically aren't as nice as a wood fire, but the more expensive units have closed the gap somewhat. If you have propane, don't bother, it's way too expensive.

Wood is the most work, but it's also by far the most fun and rewarding. Most people go into it thinking they might burn a little here and there and quickly get hooked/addicted when they realize the beauty, the enjoyment of working the fire, and the huge savings from heating with wood. But, if you know you're the type of person that doesn't want to bother with anything, wood is not for you.

chops67 said:
Do wood stoves make your home dusty or create any other types of problems if so are pellets considered cleaner. My wife is scared that we will have problems.

Properly run, either wood or pellets shouldn't make your home appreciably dustier. The problem somes in the loading and cleaning. Pellets can be dusty and can release dust when loading the stove--pour carefully. Some use "pellet dusters" to clean the pellets outside before loading. Check the pellet forum for more info. Wood can be dirty--I use a canvas log carrier and keep a dustbuster near the hearth for quick cleanups. That keeps it pretty much under control. Ash removal can be dusty with either wood or pellets. Shovel carefully or use an ash vac (my solution).

If the idea of starting and maintaining a wood fire doesn't appeal to you, then probably a wood insert isn't a great idea. I think all of us who burn wood look forward to starting and maintaining a fire, and also look forward to collecting and processing firewood. Yeah, if you have to start a fire every day all winter long, or if you have to cut, transport, split, and stack 10 cords of wood in a weekend it can become a drag, but generally I think most of us enjoy the work of it. If you don't then the wood insert isn't going to be used much and I wouldn't have one installed. You can buy your wood already cut and split (and even pay to have it stacked in a convenient place), but there is still some work involved with moving the wood to the fireplace, watching the fire and adding wood, and removing ashes. I think wood will bring some dirt indoors - bits of bark, sawdust, etc. If you are careful about the ash, you won't have much extra dust around the house, but there will be some mess when you bring wood indoors. You are also likely to sometimes get wood smoke smell in the house. If you are careful it won't be much, but if you don't like the smell, that could be a problem.

On the pro-wood side, wood fires are far more fun than pellets or gas, and once you get the hang of it really not too much work. You aren't planning to heat only with wood, so you'll just have a fire when you're in the mood, and it won't seem like work at all, I predict. I would make sure to install an insert that is properly sized to heat the room and any attached areas you think can be heated with wood, since like many others before you, you are likely to get hooked on wood heat and want to use it for as much of your heat as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.