can't figure out the smell...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harman Accentra Stand alone- I have sealed all pipe with rtv high temp silicone, new gasket on the glass on the door, the door itself is tight. Sometimes there is a small that at first I thought was because I had had the truck (diesel) running in the driveway, faily close to the front door. I noticed later the smell was stronger= again sort of like diesel. I put a medium fan at the window to try to push some inside air out. I am severely asthmatic, and am sensitive to any smoke- although I have been looking at each vent pipe section and cannot detect any smoke. Thanks PS Due to the bad Harman stoves and how the manufacturer will not support either buyers/seller, where I bought the stove is no longer selling Harman- they were the largest seller around (Wyoming), and had too many bad stoves. I have also had many problems. Anyway, the smell is bothersome- have any ideas?

I forgot to say the stove has been thoroughly cleaned and the pipe is clean inside also.

Check at night in the dark with a flash light , that's how I found mine, first try. Do just the vent from the combustion fan on, the rest of stove is vacuum.

ilmbg said:
Harman Accentra Stand alone- PS Due to the bad Harman stoves and how the manufacturer will not support either buyers/seller, where I bought the stove is no longer selling Harman- they were the largest seller around (Wyoming), and had too many bad stoves......

You didn't mention if this is a new install, or new stove, or whether or not you did the install, or someone else. If you did the install, then you'll have to find the leak using the method that Sils mentioned above. If you had it installed by someone else, then they should be the ones fixing the problem.

slls- What do I do exactly- the back is off the stove, do I put the flashlight in the back? Am I looking for a light leak in the front? I am talking with the rep, he has told me a few things that the
'older' stoves had that were not right.
As for the installer- I have been racking my mind trying to remember who put it in (I had alot done at the house). If I remember right, it was a plumbing/heating company that is no longer here- I don't rremember if they closed due to retirement - or if they said they couldn't make a living- which is what sticks in my mind. We only have 1 other plumbing/heating now, and it took 2 months just to get a kitchen faucet/sink installed. Wish I could do those things myself. Especially for $400 cost. Install new sink, install new faucet in sink, attach reverse osmosis. $400

With access to the combustion housing and then the vent pipe, in the dark with lights out. During start up when it smoking, take a strong flash light and check every where from the comp housing through the vent system. Any leaks will show right up as smoke.
The rest of the stove is vacuum, so won't leak out.
I found my leak at the pipe where it attached to the adapter, it could only be seen where the adapter outer shield opening is. It was leaking from the pipe seam and going down the adapter air gap. I hope I haven't confused you, post any questions you might have.
good luck

Yep- I'm confused!!! But I have been talking with Ken Banks, with Harman. I am going to tell him what you found (if you don't mind), and he is pretty good at explainiing and making a 'picture' in my mind. Now, the past 4 hours there has been no smell.... Ken thinks it might be the large bottom plate that has the 'curved' part with a tab hanging out- that it might not be sealing -the combustion area. He also said the same thing you found- about the exhaust pipe on the left. He said I can take the heat exchange covers off- that they are just for decoration, and now the larger model doesn't even have them. I should get a small (3%) increase in heat. Every bit will help, as I found out that I shouldn't even be able to hold my hand in front of the 'vent' on the upper front of the stove. I can hold my hand on the front of the stove.
The saga continues- it is snowing hard, and I am not going to cool off the stove today.

I'm new to the world of pellet stoves but I also could smell smoke at start up. With the lights out we checked the vent system which I might say is Simpson Duravent we found that the clean out Tee cap was leaking you could check that if you haven't already.

kserr- I did check the t-cap. I have oakmoss? in it to seal the edges. Anyway, when I get my face down to the 'grill' on the front of the stove, when it is blowing air is when I smell it. It smells sorta like burnt wood/bacon. Sometimes, if the pipe is very cold, just before the stove bursts into flame, I can see the pipe leak a tiny bit, but this isn't what I smell. That goes away as soon as the pipe gets warm. We have tried repeatedly to seal the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.