Can't find insert model that fits arched hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Colonel Mustard

Sep 6, 2023
WA
I bought a house and want to add a fireplace insert, unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding an option that will fit in the arched opening of my hearth. The opening at the bottom of the arch is 34.5in and the top of the arch is 23in. The facade on the front matches the arched brick behind it, with maybe 1in narrower overlap. Ideally it would qualify for the tax credit. I'm only looking to gain some supplemental heat and to make more use of the fireplace.

1694025975901.png

There should be some medium-sized inserts that fit there. The surround will not be arched, but some can be installed without the surround. How large of an area is this fireplace in? Is it closed off or open to the rest of the floor?

Is the mantel wood? If so, its clearances also are a factor.

There should be some medium-sized inserts that fit there. The surround will not be arched, but some can be installed without the surround. How large of an area is this fireplace in? Is it closed off or open to the rest of the floor?

Is the mantel wood? If so, its clearances also are a factor.
The fireplace is located in a large room (20ft x 20ft) with vaulted ceiling and the room is open to the rest of the floor and upstairs hallway.

Yes the mantel is made of wood and I don't mind if the surround covers up the arch.

1694028936782.png

Is the arch a facade behind which the fireplace walls are vertical. If so, could the facade be cut to fit the rectangular shape of an insert? If not, then a smaller insert will be required.
What is the width of the arched opening at 19" high, at 21" high?

Is the arch a facade behind which the fireplace walls are vertical. If so, could the facade be cut to fit the rectangular shape of an insert? If not, then a smaller insert will be required.
What is the width of the arched opening at 19" high, at 21" high?
The brick work behind the facade has the same arch structure, but is ~1in larger in radius.
At 19" high the width is ~21"
At 21" high the width is ~16"

That's going to be a real challenge without modifying the fireplace.