1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Can't find stove pipe size... or am I doing something wrong?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lharnish, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lharnish

lharnish New Member

Loc:
    Dillsburg Pennsylvania
    Hello All,

I am new to owning a wood stove so please bear with me.
    My wife got a old (?) wood stove from a freebee list she is on. I add the question mark because it appears to be old (slight rust, cobwebs, etc) but is absolutlely solid and the data plate is so scuffed up you can see part of a serial number but no manufacturer or name, model, etc.

I am wanting to use it to heat a detatched garage that the previous owner had installed a water circulation furnace with an electric blower and use the existing double walled stainless pipes.

Anyway I measured the top opening and it is as follows:

The outside measurement is 7"
    The inside measurement is 6 5/8 "
    leaving the rim as being 3/'16 thick.

I assumed thet the 7" meant a 7" stove pipe to connect to the stove then the other end to connect to the double walled stainless steel piping we have run from the existing furnace, through the roof, through a thimble and to a stainless chimney.

I have tried and the crimped end (male) is still too large to go into the stove. I cant find any reference to any stove being 'different' in size and evidently I assumed incorrectly that the measurement I took was the correct one.

Any ideas?

Also would it be permissible to see if anyone could ID it as to model or manufacturer if I posted a picture?

Thanks in advance,

The Novice
    Lloyd

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    post the pic and someone here will ID it pretty quick I bet. Provide a close up of the connection point for the stove pipe too.
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

4. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Sure post a pic. Try taking it to a sheetmetal shop and have them power crimp it. If that doesn't work have them build you an adapter. Some older stoves had quirky flue collars, sounds to be your case.
  5. lharnish

lharnish New Member

Loc:
    Dillsburg Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the replies. Here are some pics. they are only of the front and of the requested opening at teh top where I am having the size issue witht eh stove pipe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I guess since I dunno what type of stove it is, how can I tell if it is only wood, wood/coal, or coal (which I assume by default could burn wood also).

Thanks for any and all help on this,

Lloyd
  6. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    something is wrong with your links. it is asking me to log in. I think you are sending links to images that are not set to be shared. make sure you have things set up to share the images with anybody.
  7. lharnish

lharnish New Member

Loc:
    Dillsburg Pennsylvania
    So sorry, I should know to test stuff like this out before posting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have tested these and they launch without asking for a login.

Lloyd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.