Can't get a Progress Hybrid--what's my next choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would post the Mass requirements here and provide to Woodstock, if you like their stove. Maybe as simple as returning your old stove to Woodstock if it is a trade up program. Im sure there is a way to achieve the intention of the program.

I would post the Mass requirements here and provide to Woodstock, if you like their stove. Maybe as simple as returning your old stove to Woodstock if it is a trade up program. Im sure there is a way to achieve the intention of the program.
I think you're right, and Woodstock has already had conversations with the folks who run the program about how to make it work. But they are on the fence about whether the hoops they need to jump through make it worthwhile to get registered as an official retailer. So even if they decide to do so, the April 15 deadline could sneak up on us pretty fast...

call your state Rep. and ask him for clarification on the program. It sounds more like a buy local program than a trade out program.

Debbie,
Just a thought. you could sell the VC on craigslist. talk to Woodstock and negotiate a price. So you get 500 - 800 for stove. and negotiate the differance.

Couldnt you get a Chimney sweep that does installs? To install the Progress Hybrid? Would that qualify.

Debbie,
Just a thought. you could sell the VC on craigslist. talk to Woodstock and negotiate a price. So you get 500 - 800 for stove. and negotiate the differance.
A good plan in theory, but the state requires proof that the old stove has been destroyed!

that thought was to not take advantage of the rebate. economically gets you where you need to be.

Debbie,

Woodstock will negotiate on price?! Whoa.

Is there a Hearthstone you can cook on? Though I saw one with a grill/griddle once...

Not sure they will. But always worth a shot. Maybe?

Well, the consensus seems to be now that the Lopi Cape Cod doesn't get hot enough to cook on well. So if there doesn't seem to be an ideal option with a real cooktop, how about a reliable workhorse with a large, flat top that can reach the 500-650 range?

And I'm still talking to Jamie, so I'll let you know if it looks like Woodstock can come through...

Thank you all!

Attachments

• DB03050_myriad_H.jpg
    DB03050_myriad_H.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 114
Well, the consensus seems to be now that the Lopi Cape Cod doesn't get hot enough to cook on well. So if there doesn't seem to be an ideal option with a real cooktop, how about a reliable workhorse with a large, flat top that can reach the 500-650 range?

If you really want to burn a long time, here ya go. You don't need that deck on top around the flue collar, it's optional. Should give a decent amount of cooking space. They say 20" logs now, but that is loading E/W. This stove is made to load N/S, and 16-17" is best.

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-princess.html Most say they are too ugly to have in their homes, but that's because they have never burned one.

If you are really set on getting a cooktop, you might want to look at the Lopi Liberty. I have the Freedom, which is the insert version. I cook on it when I lose power, which hasn't happened yet this year, unfortunately. :)

And I'm still talking to Jamie, so I'll let you know if it looks like Woodstock can come through...

Thank you all!
Debbie,
When you talk to Jamie,,, maybe ask him about the new stove and if that would be an option to cook on as well,,, if not,,, you know that's out of the question.. That's suppose to be a lower cost stove then the HP... As far as a release date and when you need a stove ,,that's another thing... They are great people to deal with.
Charlie

Okay folks...hopefully I'm almost out of your hair here. The recommendations of steel stoves made me realize that we really are attached to the cast iron look (and, I suppose, the cast iron price tag...). So I just called my local dealer and they offered these four option, given my requirements for cooking surface, long burn times, and 19" wood:
> Lopi Leyden
> Harman Oakwood
> VC Defiant
> VC Encore

Any thoughts between those? Thank you!!!

I also recommend looking at the PE Alderleas. They have eveything you've asked for and also seem to have among the longer burn times of non cat stoves (based on reports here anyway). They actually are steel stoves but are wrapped in cast iron so you get the durability of the steel firebox, the looks and extra thermal mass of the cast iron, and the nifty swivel top. One thing to look at though is the size of the top with the swivel trivets all the way open. I remember it being pretty small on the T-5, so that will limit what size pan you can put on there.

Specs for the pan size looks to be:
T6 fits a 12" x 15" pan
T5 fits a 9" x 11" pan

I also recommend looking at the PE Alderleas. They have eveything you've asked for and also seem to have among the longer burn times of non cat stoves (based on reports here anyway). They actually are steel stoves but are wrapped in cast iron so you get the durability of the steel firebox, the looks and extra thermal mass of the cast iron, and the nifty swivel top. One thing to look at though is the size of the top with the swivel trivets all the way open. I remember it being pretty small on the T-5, so that will limit what size pan you can put on there.
But it looks to me like those cook surfaces are really just warming shelves--swung out, they can't be more than a few hundred degrees, and even swung in, wouldn't that extra pocket of air keep the surface cooler? But perhaps the lower center surface, with the shelves swung out, gets hot enough. I'll check with the folks at PE, thank you!
Debbie

Let me add on to that, because I just called my dealer--when those shelves are swung out, the exposed surface is the steel stove, which probably wouldn't work very well to cook on directly... Anyone have any thoughts on the four I listed? Thanks!

I will tell you the Harmon I think is a Down Draft type stove a little different way of doing the secondary burn.

So you might check into that aspect.

Let me add on to that, because I just called my dealer--when those shelves are swung out, the exposed surface is the steel stove, which probably wouldn't work very well to cook on directly... Anyone have any thoughts on the four I listed? Thanks!​

I've never used one, but I imagine it would give you options. With them swung partially out, you could probably cook rice, keep thing warm, etc. With them all the way in, I believe they do get plenty hot for most cooking. IDK why cooking on the steel surface would give you any issues. This would be the hottest area. All that said, I think you might find the cooking area sizes to be sort of lacking. I would definitely check one out if you have a dealer nearby.

I don't really have any feedback on the other 4 stoves. Your best bet might be to start a new thread with those 4 in the title to get the attention of some owners.​

Status
Not open for further replies.