Can't get a Progress Hybrid--what's my next choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take a look at the Jotul line. They have a cook top like your VC

BrowningBar can tell you about the VC's

Good news, everyone--an email from Woodstock:

Debbie,​
The decision has been made by us to participate in this program. We are working out the protocol on how we will handle the application process and voucher reimbursement. I'll keep you posted. Have a great weekend.​
Jamie Bean​
Woodstock Soapstone Co.​
I'll let you know how the bureaucracy works out so others can follow in my footsteps. (No need to let you know how the stove works out--you know that in advance!)

Reactions: jeff_t
Okay folks...hopefully I'm almost out of your hair here. The recommendations of steel stoves made me realize that we really are attached to the cast iron look (and, I suppose, the cast iron price tag...). So I just called my local dealer and they offered these four option, given my requirements for cooking surface, long burn times, and 19" wood:
> Lopi Leyden
> Harman Oakwood
> VC Defiant
> VC Encore

Any thoughts between those? Thank you!!!
Put me down for "no" to the Leyden, Defiant, or the Encore.

The Leydon is like a non-cat version of a VC stove. It is hit or miss when it comes to successfully operating the stove. I run a Defiant and an Encore. They run great for me, BUT, they have a lot of maintenance. Also, parts and quality control STILL seem to be an issue judging be the reports we are seeing.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Good news, everyone--an email from Woodstock:

Debbie,​
The decision has been made by us to participate in this program. We are working out the protocol on how we will handle the application process and voucher reimbursement. I'll keep you posted. Have a great weekend.​
Jamie Bean​
Woodstock Soapstone Co.​
I'll let you know how the bureaucracy works out so others can follow in my footsteps. (No need to let you know how the stove works out--you know that in advance!)

I would think a certified installer from one of these organizations can handle the installation requirements. Go to the site and type in your zip code. Ask if they are qualified as certified installers for the program and document everything, including pictures.

www.ncia.org or www.csia.org

Hello folks,

I wonder if you can help me decide on a compromise. We’ve decided to replace our beloved (probably just because it’s all we’ve ever known) 1977 VC Vigilant, taking advantage of the $1000 from the Massachusetts rebate program.

We heat about 1600 square feet, with 16' ceilings, open floor plan, well-insulated, lots of southern light. With the Vigilant we burn about 2-3 cords a season, and keep toasty. We also love to cook on (and in) it whenever we can.

So of course, the answer is a Woodstock Progress Hybrid, right? We were very excited about ordering one, when I read the paperwork more carefully on the voucher, and discovered that the stove has to be installed by the retailer. I checked with Jamie at Woodstock, and he told me “I have spoken with a rep from the changeout program and our stoves and company would qualify, but at this point we have not decided if we will register to participate.”

So what’s my second-best choice? Efficiency and long burns are high priority, must be EPA-certified, and a cook top would be bonus. Oh, and we have a lot of long wood in storage, so it needs to take at least 18” logs.

Thank you all!
Debbie
Debbie there's a Progress for sale in Mass. on Craig's list.The add says $2300.00 for it.I spoke to the owner who will take $2000.00.Maybe it'll work out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.