can't get my coal to ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pandaiii

Nov 16, 2008
central pa
i have a magnum caol stoker. For some reason this year after i started it and got a first pan of beautiful all ash waste i am not able to adjust it to get ash. I am getting unburnt coal into the pan. I have turned it back and it doesn't seem to change. i have a nice red fire under neath but can't get the half inch or so ash end on the grate.
i have turned it back to see if i can start at a very slow pace and then increase thhe feed rate.
can any one give me possible reaons or things i might be doing incorrectly?
thanks

I don't have the "url" but there are one or more coal burning forums where you will get expert help.

For my part, and past experience with Anthracite coal, I'd say if you're getting unburned coal you have the fire turned back too far. I think "clinkers" means you're burning too hot.

thanx but i am not getting 'clinker"
its as if the coal was never burnt. I am sure you are thinking well you have the feed too fast!
I am hoping this is it -however i only had it at a medium rate .

I haven't burned coal in at least 5 years, so my memory isn't clear. I believe I had some small pieces of coal in the ash from time-t0-time and clinkers too, but mostly fne ash. I'd not be concerned if the bits of coal coming through is small, say less than 2%.

Being in central PA you must be using good old Pennsylvania hard coal, that's what I used.

I looked up coal forum, here's the url: http://nepacrossroads.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.