Can't get my hood open 98 blazer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefraser

Oct 4, 2009
Somersworth,NH
Any Ideas? When I pull the open hood latch nothing happens. The hood doesn't pop up as it should. I can move the latch in the center of the hood but it is still locked somewhere on the edges.

Did it release on the first pop from inside the truck?. Have someone bang on the hood as you release the hood from inside if that is wher it is at. also try and hold the hood down a bit and then try to open the latch without any weight on the latch.

woodsman23 said:
Did it release on the first pop from inside the truck?.

No, the cable for the release may be broken or caught on something because it doesn't move or do anything.

It's probably road grime. Holding the hood down when opening helps. If that fails, spraying cleaner all around the spring catch, washing it, then lubeing it can help also. Worst case scenario is you unbolt it piece by piece until you can free it. If you have to go that far I can tell you how to re-align everything easily. You shouldn't have to go that far though.

Most vehicles with a remote (inside the vehicle) hood release have some sort of provision for releasing it in the event of a cable failure...without disassembling anything. Do you have the vehicle service manual? If not, contact a dealer and talk with the service folks, or do an internet search, or whatever. There's probably some location from where the primary latch can be accessed with a rod or screwdriver and caused to release, then you can undo the secondary as you normally would with the lever beneath the popped hood. Then you can troubleshoot & repair. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.