Can't get rid of that smell....old insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodland Country

Nov 20, 2008
Woodland, Ca
Greetings,

I am new to this forum and I think it is a great site. I find myself reading and reading this forum. But I have a serious question. First, some background:

I bought a home in March of this year with a Country Stove insert. I really like it, and am surprised that they aren't mentioned on this site much at all, as they are fairly common around this area, (Sacramento Valley). Although I don't know who around this area deals/services them. Anyway, I grew up with an insert that my grandfather built for our family. He made two dozen or so back in the '80's and sold them locally. I know it sounds kind of backwoods but it really wasn't. These unit are designed to be very efficient, and are. My folks heat with one to this day. I wish I could get my hands one now.

Back to my situation. I pulled the Country when we remodeled this spring. Had the chimney cleaned, inspected; everything fine. Before I re-installed the insert I painted it with some high heat paint because the existing finish needed some sprucing up. I also took the baffle down to inspect it, put it back together. I did notice a small tear (4-5 inches) in the ceramic insulation blanket. The surround panels had no insulation on them, so I used some thin strips of fiberglass between the steel surround panels and the brick facing of the fireplace to seal it up.

The unit is really nice for a non-secondary "smoke dragon". It lights and burns well and efficiently, doesn't smoke during an extended burn. It throws great heat. In short, it perfect for my needs except.......

When it gets up to temperature, it smells. Bad. Like a chemical smell. I have about 40 hours on the stove and I thought by now any paint burn off would be gone by now. But each time I get it cruising, it starts to smell. I can't keep running it like this. I plan to heat exclusively with wood, but am starting to get discouraged. As I type I can smell it. I'm tired of telling my my wife to be patient, the paint is curing.

Does anyone have any advice? Please post up questions and answers.

Thank you. Chris.

P.S. Does anyone out there have a Country Stove/Insert?

Maybe it is not the paint - possibly the insulation you added is not the correct type of insulation? (Posted by a newbie to stoves so take my comment with a grain of salt.....)

Shari

That's a suspect. I've seen it used all the time on other surrounds though.

Anyone? Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

I'm gonna do a test on that leftover insulation, we'll see what happens.

Chris

There is a dealer over in Yuba City that sells Country Stoves. I think that it is about 30 minutes from Woodland. My guess on the smell is the insulation too. However, I not an expert on much of anything useful! I just like reading about wood and wood stoves... Actually, I think I am addicted to this site!

Well, my old insert was 23 years old when I sold it two months ago and it didn`t smell.

So, just give yourself some time to think about your paint job and I am sure you will reach the right conclusion. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.