Can't get squirrel cage fan apart (70's Nashua)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
If I could get this apart, maybe I could date it, but it was on the stove when I moved here in 2002. I got the set screw out, but the cage won't come off that axle (or whatever it is. Driveshaft?)

A quick Google search indicates these things may not come off easily. I've shot it with PB Rustbusters, and gently manipulating with a pair of pliers, but no luck yet.

My understanding is in a perfect world it'd lift right off after the set-screw was loosened.

If it comes off, is a drop of oil supposed to go somewhere?
Thanks,
Greg
DSCN0407.JPG

DSCN0408.JPG

DSCN0409.JPG

I turned chicken, cleaned everything as best I could, buttoned it up and reattached to the stove. Since I don't know what I'm doing, there seemed to be very little sense in breaking the thing to find out!! _g It sure seems to run very smooth.

Possible some locktite in there, only thing to break it free would be some heat from a torch, which would likely cause other problems. You did the right thing...clean the best you can and carry on with yer day!

Ian

Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.