Cant Hooks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RingDing

Jan 23, 2008
Pennsylvania
I'm looking to roll some large diameter wood about 3' diameter. I'm assuming a cant hook is the easiest way to go. I've done some internet searching but none seem like they can actually get a good bite into the wood because of the large diameter. They seem like the jaws are too small. LogRite says their Mega can handle up to 45". Not ready to spend the $160 for it though.

I have an old cant hook that really can't get a bite into the larger rounds. The jaws on the ones out there now don't really look any bigger. At the very least, if I can get the hook part, I would just weld one together. Thanks.

I already tried in the past but the hook part just bent outta shape. Welds didn't break though. I think the steel in cant hooks are heat treated or forged or something like that to make them extra strong.

Look around at yard sales and antique stores, Find a skidding hook like these http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?OVKEY=log%20lifter&cm_ven=PPC&OVKWID=44259647522&storeId=6970&cm_pla=logging&OVMTC=standard&N=100+1466+771090&OVADID=16573196022&OVRAW=log%20lifter&cm_ite=log%20lifter&cm_cat=Yahoo!%20New%20Sponsored%20Search cut it apart and you have two forged hooks to use for cant hooks.

I've got a Stihl hook that will roll 3' diameter logs, providing they're cut short enough. It cost $100, well worth it IMO.

If you make it, it can be whatever size you want. I made one out of 1/2" square steel bar, forged the point, bend and flat at the pivot, then heat treated it. Heat it bright red to orange hot, then quench in water. Reheat it to about 450, then quench it again. The reheat tempers a bit of the hardness so it won't break if you hit it with a hammer. Most common cold-rolled steel will not get that hard anyway, but it's cheap insurance. Instead of a fancy point on the stick, I used a 16" length of 2" sched 40 pipe hammered onto the end of the pole. A strap 1/8" thick steel and a 1/4" bolt attaches the hook to the pipe.

Good thread, but seemed better as "Gear" than as DIY, so I moved it...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.