can't keep up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hamelpe said:
I set the stove in room temp mode setting at 90 feed rate at 6 .The temp of the exhaust air is 134 on the left and 181 on the right.

I have the Harman Insert as well. When you stated that the temp on the left is cooler than the right got me to thinking aboutan experience I had with mine when I was in my rookie season. When you clean(with the brush) out the bottom lefthand tube make sure to go past the 90 degree bend and continue to the right side exhaust tube.

My first cleanings I only pushed the brush till it stopped and vacuumed to that point. Over time it packed the ash a little beyond the 90 degree elbow and restricted airflow. Thus giving me cooler temps on the left side. I use a tube hooked up to the vacuum and push the tube in the left side till it reaches the right to clear any remaining ash.

My house is a 160+ year old two story, close to 3,000 sq ft. and not insulated very well. My settings are on room temp of 75 and a feed rate of 2-1/2. Burn about 5-1/2 tons a year and we do supplement with oil and average about 330-350 gallons/year.

when I clean the stove i insert the brush untill it stops I don't go around the 90 deg bend. This weekend I will shut the stove down and do a good cleaning based on the info posted. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.