Can't leave good enough alone....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin*

Burning Hunk
Nov 29, 2011
SNOHOMISH, WA
So this is the log spittle I have, an MTD Yard Machines "31 Ton".

It works fine but I would like it to be awesome. I have been thinking about swapping the splitting wedge and foot around. I've looked around and haven't seen any serious mods of splitters.
Maybe I should just sell this and build one from scratch....

I take it you never use it vertically? That would be impossible if you swapped the wedge and the foot.

What are your goals for modding the splitter? Easier use? More speed?

I take it you never use it vertically? That would be impossible if you swapped the wedge and the foot.

What are your goals for modding the splitter? Easier use? More speed?
easier use, I would like to use it in the horizontal position. I have always used it in the vertical but it kills my back. I would like a box wedge but I don't know if there is enough power in her to do it.

I would put it up for trade and see what comes along. Most will want the verticle option.

easier use, I would like to use it in the horizontal position. I have always used it in the vertical but it kills my back. I would like a box wedge but I don't know if there is enough power in her to do it.
I would put it up for trade and see what comes along. Most will want the verticle option.

If you want to build a horizontal unit with a log lift (easiest on the back), then perhaps you should weigh the merits of selling it vs. what you already have for parts. (Engine, pump, cylinder, wheels, etc...)

Should you decide to build it, I would consider leaving it as a wedge-on-ram machine, build the chassis and lift, and just transfer the power unit, buy/build a tank, and strap on the existing beam and cylinder. You can always switch the configuration of the beam later and build an outfeed table. 31 ton should be plenty of power to run whatever wedge you want. ;)

I can't imagine having a machine that just does one or the other. I must switch from horizontal to vertical and back a half dozen times during the course of a day! Anything under 10" diameter = horizontal, and anything over 18" diameter = vertical. Anything in that 10" - 18" range gets split in whatever orientation the machine is already in.

I can't imagine having a machine that just does one or the other. I must switch from horizontal to vertical and back a half dozen times during the course of a day! Anything under 10" diameter = horizontal, and anything over 18" diameter = vertical. Anything in that 10" - 18" range gets split in whatever orientation the machine is already in.

It's a different game when the machine picks up a 36" round and plops it onto the splitter bed for you. You roll 'em onto the lift by hand or with a cant hook/peavy. Horz with a log lift is the easy way out for sure, horz/vert is an option that most of us "Harry Homeowners" can afford, or at least see as sensible. $6K log splitters are considered excessive I guess. :rolleyes:

The OP probably has visions of a machine lie this:

TW-7.jpg

Log lift: Check
Horizontal with box wedge: Check
Outfeed table: Check

MasterMech, if my rounds were under 36", I'd have no problem, but what would that log lift do my 49" - 54" oak rounds? ;lol A 50" diameter x 20" long round of oak weighs more than 1400 lb. green!

With a vertical machine, I will quarter or slab such a beast with the 064 AV, and then muscle each piece onto the foot plate vertically.

<-- glutton for punishment

and then muscle each piece onto the foot plate vertically.​

This is the step that the log lift eliminates. I imagine that once you get north of 50" the weight of the round would be a bit much for any log lift and I'm not sure I'd want a 50"+ round to be lifted and rolling back towards me. :eek: But once you have a monster like that quatered, there wouldn't be nearly as much work to get the chunks onto the machine.

If money was no object.... :rolleyes:

I liked how this one grabs the round and goes back horz to to chew it up. This one's a custom.

Reactions: Ashful
To the op, I did what your are considering 2 years ago. HF 30T. No lift. As my beam was sprung and the foot plate bent after 10 years of abuse I rebult it in horizontal only. Ram , pump, tank, motor ( BS) and base frame retained. New beam made from 2, 4x6" -1/4" walled steel tubes. tubes welded together all the way around, 3/8"x8" top plate added on top of the tubes full length. the plate is welded around the circumference as well as plug welded to the tubes. Wedge is fixed on end and welded to the tubes below the plate and then to the plate. Push plate is made out of 1.5" thick material as well as the wedge. Sorry do not have pics on this computer. Somewhere in the archives are a bunch of them. I did consider making the beam the tank, then considered the stress/flex possibilities and nixed that idea. Because the tubes are welded together what I ended up with is a 8" wide 6" tall fully boxed beam with a 1/2" thick center rib, way stronger than any conventional beam. The guides for the push plate are 1.5" x 1/4" angle Iron stitch welded to the sides. If I tear them up easily replaced. Wedge is 8" deep then a spreader behind it, slices through stringy stuff and most knots rather than trying to rip them apart. Note on push plate: needs to be twice as long as high, trust me on this.

Far as mods to a splitter: Good hydo fluid change the filter run synthetic oil hot plug and a k an n filter. (Because its cheaper on my on Honda) Not much else can be done other than a lift of some kind. Either way its like watching paint dry, but the older I get the more exciting that sounds! ;)

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.