Can't light my pilot light...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillCrane

Nov 23, 2015
Jackson, Michigan
Hello. I moved into a previously owned home about five years ago where our gas fireplace is located upstairs. The pilot has always been lighted. I wanted to clean dust and soot from the artificial logs, chain screens, etc. and turned off the pilot. Now, I can't turn it back on.

I can't find a brand name anywhere. The fireplace lights by flipping a switch on the wall.

A main shut off valve, brass with a key, is located just on the floor to the right of the fireplace.

I can't find any pilot buttons or resets. Advice on how to relight the pilot? Thanks.

It may be a B Vented unit, and often when they don't have an obvious drop-down louver door to reveal the controls, there may be a hearth brick or metal cover inside the fireplace opening on the floor, allowing access to the valve (plus all the appliance info, i.e. the rating tag/label, lighting instructions, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.