Can't resist Black Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
I have just a silly amount of (very large) soft maple rounds to process, and already have enough wood for next winter. But it was raining this weekend and I didn't want to operate the splitter in the rain or rough up the yard with the rounds so I took a stroll in the woods. A recent storm knocked a decent sized black birch right across the path, and I just couldn't help myself. I quickly retrieved my saw and made quick work of it, then wheel barrow'ed the rounds to my processing area. I didn't tell my wife because she's already a little concerned about the yard being taken over by wood. Oh well, I guess that's why I have you guys. I plan to split this the coming weekend. If I do, do you think this should go in my 17/18 pile or my 16/17 pile?

Attachments

• IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 328
If you have enough for the 16-17 season already, don,t waste it. They say it's a wood that needs ever bit of a full 12 months, which seems like good bargain given its btu rating. An absolutely awesome wood. Smells good, burns very good. Don't worry about not telling your wife. My wife has similar " concerns". She loves the heat though. I think she imagines good heat happens by magic. Oh well. Good birch score, man!

Reactions: Lakeside
Black Birch is one of my favorites , I would not have passed on it too. Good call.

Black birch is great! Save it for 17/18, I have 1 year (12 months exactly) black birch that I tested today in my stove and it still sizzled. It will be awesome on 2 years.

Reactions: CTYank
Thanks for the collective wisdom! This is headed for the 17/18 pile. Can't wait.

You can cut and burn black birch in the same year if you had too. Although May split and stack is pushing it. If not, postpone till the following year. Nice score!

Black birch is good firewood. I would not pass either. Though it is not very good for overnights. It burns hot :ZZZ and fast :mad:

I would never pass up black or yellow birch

Reactions: CTYank
Status
Not open for further replies.