Can't See-- Sweat!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dew rag / headband? I can't really stand to wear them personally.

I like a ball cap, keeps the sun glare off my perscription safety glasses, but it holds in the head heat, also deflects dust & flying chips. Just have to take frequent breaks & wipe down with a face towel. Glasses SUCK for attracting dust, dirt, sweat, etc, but it's way better than not seeing at all.

For general fogging issues, I have always had the best luck cleaning with Windex, rinsing with very warm to hot water and lightly drying with a soft cotton towel, t-shirt, etc. Microfiber cloths work well too. I use this method on my regular glasses, safety glasses, goggles & face shields for work with great results. I am also very anal about keeping the car windshields and my sled helmet shields extremely clean with windex.

Humidity will rapidly form into fog on any surface that has other contaminants on it such as dust, smoke, etc. Ever notice how on a dewy night a dirty car will be covered in droplets but a clean freshly washed car will be nearly dry? I see this every day at work. Our parking lot is immediately next to a cooling tower that evaporates 100,000 gal per day.

Holy crap...... I need one of those towers at work! What the heck is that cooling?

Try a pair of the "Bugz" goggles. They have a fine mesh over the eyes, and a foam seal around each eye to keep sweat from coming in. They work great.
Just put a helmet on your grape when dropping trees! Haha!

Yep, I learned that a couple summers back welding caps on corner posts...ended up with a metal splinter in one eye.
Be sure to notify anyone prescribing an MRI, that you may have metal in your eyes. Blindness is no fun.

When cutting in the summer I look ridiculous. For the sweat, I rip up old T-shirts and use them as simple headbands. After they're soaked, I either wash 'em or toss 'em if I'm near my nemesis (Poison Ivy). I do wear safety glasses and keep a rag (old washcloth or surgical towels work well) to wipe 'em down as needed. This is all in addition to the swamp boots, heavy jeans, and long-sleeve shirts I have on to avoid getting the Ivy. There's nothing pretty about summer wood-processing...

Reactions: Thistle
When cutting in the summer I look ridiculous. For the sweat, I rip up old T-shirts and use them as simple headbands. After they're soaked, I either wash 'em or toss 'em if I'm near my nemesis (Poison Ivy). I do wear safety glasses and keep a rag (old washcloth or surgical towels work well) to wipe 'em down as needed. This is all in addition to the swamp boots, heavy jeans, and long-sleeve shirts I have on to avoid getting the Ivy. There's nothing pretty about summer wood-processing...

Summer is much better spent aboard a vessel which shares your town's name.

Reactions: BuckthornBonnie
I work at a trash to energy facility. Two 250 ton per day boilers, 855 psi steam @ 830 deg F at the 17 MW marine turbine throttles.

The cooling tower cools the turbine condenser and all the smaller auxillaries, lube oil, air compressors, HVAC units, etc.

Dropping trash into a hot furnace that is preheated with propane burners, spontaneous combustion baby!!!

TG rotor during the spring '12 cold iron outage:

Install of the new control room computers:

I run two of these boilers at work, and all the crap that supports them:

Ah Mustash the good old days of solid fuel - worked at an RDF trash burner in my youth, miss the smell of lobster carcasses in the July heat:)

Looks like a broken shroud and blade on the LP section?

Sorry to derail the thread....
Shaving cream works awesome as an anti fog, a little left on you hand and wipe it on the mirror, wipe clean with a dry towel - just don't tell the SO why that one spot doesn't fog up;)

Reactions: WeldrDave

Makes me even more thankful to not be allergic to the ivy.

;lol that sounds like me.After a typical summer day of cutting I generally look like some unwashed thing that crawled out from a big rock someplace....Not unusual for me to change shirts 2-3 times by the end of the day.I always bring extra change of clothes in the truck when its humid or in muddy places.

Old T shirts (especially the sleeves) make great headbands.Except when felling,I don't wear any sort of hat once its over 70 degrees out,just holds that heat in too much for me.Dont wear long sleeve shirts,except for the rare time I happen to be near a lot of multiflora rosa,prickly ash or similar stuff.Poison Ivy can bother me but its not real abundant on the places I normally am cutting at.

Heavy cut resistant gloves,safety glasses,heavy jeans are a must when around that thorny stuff however.

Cool pictures mustash! I fish near there quite a bit any chance of a tour?

We are open to tours, it's great PR.

Reactions: MasterMech
When you cut the sleeves off of T-shirts use those as a headband.

When you cut the sleeves off of T-shirts use those as a headband.
And when you cut the sleeves off your flannels use those as toboggans

How to keep sweat out of safety glasses?! Don't work so hard.
I was sweating my butt off this day, this morning, not working hard , humidity 84%, you know !

rip my sleeves off and put one on my head. You should see the looks you get when you stop at a convenience store after cutting though. LOL

+1
Now that is "Wisdom" !
& pick cooler days. :)

Easier for men of leisure, than for us regular working folk.

So true, so true.
My moto now is "don't put off for tomorrow what I can do next week" :)

I also have noticed how empty the fishing holes are on week days ;)

& I don't feel bad about it, at all. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.