Can't wait to start burning - need some room for more wood......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
We haven't started burning 24/7 yet just a couple of small fires at night - so your typical shoulder season. My problem - is a nice one to have - i have run out of room to stack my current scrounges. All my 5 year storage is full i only have a walkway between this years to burn wood and this years cut wood. Once we start burning all should be good but it looks like i have nearly scrounged this years usage before we have started burning.... time for rest. I did try that a while back i even put my cover on the ute but then i saw an easy high quality scrounge and it all starts again.

I have already increased my storage this year by 20% by added another pallet to my rows. I currently have 5 pallet rows which are ~ 5 - 6 feet high by 20 feet long by 15 rows. then i have a over spill area which has 22 pallets stacked 3 rows to a pallet x 5 feet high. Plus this years burning pile under the tarp.....

Not sure how much but i am thinking at least 4 years worth... what do you guys think?

WP_20150331_001.jpg WP_20150331_004.jpg WP_20150331_005.jpg WP_20150331_006.jpg WP_20150331_007.jpg WP_20150331_008.jpg WP_20150331_011.jpg WP_20150331_012.jpg

Reactions: jeffesonm
You do have a problem ... you may run out of wood 5 years from now;lol You're going to have to get a bigger property if you keep scrounging!

Last edited:
Hard to pass when you find easy, high-quality wood to get. I think you burn a couple cords a year, right? Hard to say from the pics how much that is but even though it's packed tight, I think you are ahead far enough to be burning nice, dry wood, and that's the main thing. :cool:

wait, so you say 5 rows, then 15 rows..

15 rows that are 20 ft long each? And then 22 more pallets on top of that?

22 pallets = 10 cord-ish.

Each 20 ft long row is approx 2.5 cord.

I'd say you're set for a while.

wait, so you say 5 rows, then 15 rows..15 rows that are 20 ft long each? And then 22 more pallets on top of that?
Ok, I jumped to the pics the first time I looked, and forgot to come back and look at the particulars closely. Here's how I'm reading it; He's got 5 pallet rows (3 rows per pallet,) so that's 15 rows at 5-6' high. I'm gonna call 'em 24' rows at 4' high. That's a cord per row, so roughly 15 cords there. Then he's got 22 more pallets with 3 rows on each. We'll call each pallet 4x4x4' so each is a half cord. That's another 11 cords. So by my reckoning that's 26 cords. I just saw he's got 2 stoves so I'm gonna guess 6 cords a year, for a 4-year+ supply of wood at the end of this season. That's his guess also....
I can't wait to STOP burning!
I stopped a couple days ago. I kinda miss it now but it's going down into the 30s tonight, so I get to fire up! ==c

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.