Canvas or non-plastic tarps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I need a couple different size durable canvas tarps. I want a really large one for raking leaves onto it and perhaps a smaller one for other misc chores. Any leads on where to shop for good deals on canvas tarps?

A leaf-hauling-sized piece of canvas sounds really heavy, especially if it gets wet, in which case it seems like it would be a pain to dry out. How about a nylon mesh tarp like these? The reviews look good.

You make a good point about the potential weight of canvas but I can't see that nylon being durable enough to be dragged across my ground. At times it might be drug across my gravel driveway, other times brush in the woodline as I dump the tarp.

Check craigslist for the recycled billboard things
Pretty cheap use til torn and cut another piece

You'll grow old and dies waiting for that stuff to tear. It's tough.

I never found use of a tarp particularly easy for raking/transporting leaves. But every situation is different - smooth vs rough terrain, uphill haul vs level, etc. I first used a large cardboard box, stuffing it full of dry leaves, then just picking it up and walking uphill with it. But a box doesn't last too long. Then I switched to a 30 gallon plastic barrel with handles. That you can stuff full more easily, and the handles make carrying it easy. But if the leaves are wet, the added weight is a problem. Carrying that gets old, mainly because I got old. Now I use a yard cart, with those big 20" bicycle tires. I stuff it full as I can and wheel it away. If some leaves are dry, but the ones under are wet, I try to load the dry ones first, as those don't compact as well. I load the wet ones on top to hold the light ones down better. But every yard is different, as is every solution to leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.