Canyon c 310

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl J

Oct 10, 2014
Mo.
I have a couple of questions on my Lennox Canyon C 310.
What temperature is too hot and what temp.is best measured on top between the air outlets ?
Where does the air to the burner tubes come from, I know it is not controlled by the main air pull rod.
My stove shoots up to 600F with out using the blower so I always have it on.
Dry oak, ash and elm is what we normally burn. Thank You.

Welcome to the forum, Karl! :)

For a simple steel stove overfire temp starts at 800 F stove top but check also your manual. The best location for the thermometer is usually the hottest spot in the center of the stove top, often right before the flue outlet. In your case it may be before the step-top. With 600 F stovetop you are burning well since a secondary burn stove is supposed to be run that hot. When you don't get the stove that hot during the early burn cycle you most likely will have incomplete combustion and smoke coming out of your chimney. That wastes heat/fuel and increases the risk of creosote accumulation in the chimney.

The "secondary" air for the burn tubes is unregulated. That is to ensure the stove burns up all of the wood gases and particulates to give you a high efficiency and low particulate emissions (aka no smoke).

On the Performer (the canyons little brother) I would place the thermometer on the front of the step, just between the holes as you stated. I could view it from my chair and I found this area to be just as hot as the actual stove top.

Temps of up to 720f were not out of the ordinary. Of course something to keep in mind is those little magnetic thermometers can be off quite a bit although I have two that seem to agree.

600-650F is cruising temp for this insert. Too hot would be in the 750F range.

Status
Not open for further replies.