Cap for T member on new SS Flex liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanhudson

Burning Hunk
Feb 18, 2012
South Dakota
I just received and am preparing to install my new SS liner (flex king 6"). I have searched extensively both here and other places online but have been unable to find an answer to my question. The chimney I am relining is circa 1957 constructed of 16" square cinder block lined with 7" inside diameter square terra-cotta. The chimney itself is in good shape and drafts well when warm but with my new EPA stove I think it will work better with a 6" liner. My question is what bad could happen if I left the cap off the bottom of the T member? I sweep my own chimney and the existing chimney has a cleanout door at the bottom; if I left the cap off the bottom of the T I would be able to sweep it straight down the chimney and remove it through the cleanout door. I understand that if I leave the cap off the bottom of the T member then as the chimney cools there could be a possibility gasses cooling and settling at the bottom of the chimney. Does anyone else have experience with this issue? It just seems to me that it would be much easier to remove the soot/creosote swept down from the bottom of the chimney instead of pulling the stove pipe off and vaccuming it out of the cap on the T member. Thoughts? Suggestions? Potential dangers? If anyone needs pics to beeter understand what I am describing just lemme know...

I cannot scientifically say why, but that sounds like all kinds of a bad idea.

You will need to remove the stove pipe when you clean the flue any way. I have a friend that had the setup that you are talking about. It worked fine at first, then one evening his stove ran away, at about 1200 degrees he threw a bucket of water in it. Then a week later they came home to a new house full of smoke! The flue started drawing through the cleanout and completely bypassed the stove. I think there would be no reason to put in liner if you aren't gonna complete it with the cap. Like I said the stove pipe is part of the flue and it needs cleaned as often as the chimney. One thing you could do is, add another clean-out door at the tee. Then you could remove the tee cap before you clean the flue.

Besides the draft issues, you'll be introducing cool air into the flue, cooling the gases and contributing to creosote buildup.

+1, exactly correct. Leaving the cap off is a very bad idea. It will spoil draft and cool down the flue. The net result will be a balky, poor heater and the very likely prospect of serious creosote accumulations. Then there is the risk of draft reversal as the fire dies down. This is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.