Cap plate lifting up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Here's my setup: Fireview piped out the back and up the chimney using flexible SS pipe. Chimney is clay lined with an 8" double wall SS liner and the flexible SS liner goes in the x2 wall pipe (I'm well insulated). The flexible pipe is held in place by running through a flat plate that sits on top of the 8" pipe and this is held in place by silicone caulking.

Here's the problem: I noticed the first year that the plate had lifted up and created a gap in the silicone. I chalked it up to the SS pipe expanding with heat. They came out and fixed it, no questions asked. It happened again and they fixed it and it held all last year with no problems. A couple of days ago I went out and it had lifted again and this time the pipe was crooked. They are coming out again to fix it (no charge).

Anyone ever seen this? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

FV

It sounds like the cap plate should have a generous drip lip that can be carefully screw anchored to the chimney.

Reactions: fireview2788
Status
Not open for further replies.