Capacitor in well motor control box just crapped out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
Low water pressure. Hmmm... down to basement. Tank shows 15 psi. Pump not running. Cycle breaker, nothing. Small puddle of what looks like oil beneath well motor control box. Open it up and the capacitor cover is no longer attached and looks like all the juice dripped out.

-_e7O_ESDrTPyrgc7gtrr8wfOe1ugv-717DHFVpZzGP-JRCj5gfhpPt25A5H0-9IzN1oB_TTGSoEh6MV_JE=w701-h933-no.jpg

Can I just replace the capacitor and hopefully that will fix it? Or is it indicative of a problem with the pump? $20 capacitor would be much cooler than service call to the well company.

For what it's worth we had a nasty lightning storm last night and I distinctly remember one crack that sounded right above the house along with a little zap type noise. Wonder if something got fried...

Low water pressure. Hmmm... down to basement. Tank shows 15 psi. Pump not running. Cycle breaker, nothing. Small puddle of what looks like oil beneath well motor control box. Open it up and the capacitor cover is no longer attached and looks like all the juice dripped out.

View attachment 182948

Can I just replace the capacitor and hopefully that will fix it? Or is it indicative of a problem with the pump? $20 capacitor would be much cooler than service call to the well company.

For what it's worth we had a nasty lightning storm last night and I distinctly remember one crack that sounded right above the house along with a little zap type noise. Wonder if something got fried...

Try the capacitor first, If that's not the problem contact your insurance company and report a lightning strike.

Even Amazon can't get me a new capacitor until end of day Monday, so I bit t he bullet and called the local well company. They called me right back and I explained the situation. Turns out they have a little self service box at the shop so I drove over and helped myself to a new control box, from which I swapped in a new capacitor. The water runneth again. Have to bring that guy a 6 pack on Monday when I go back to return the box and pay for the capacitor.

Capacitors are the weak link of a lot of electronics, 7 to 10 year life is typical.

Reactions: 7acres
If you have a grangers near you, they should have one that will work.

if you heard the zap noise before then it was to close. i would go around and check every piece of electronics in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.