Cape Cod Blizzard '09

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
Sitting here in my living room as the Blizzard of '09 (that's what they are calling it) is just cranking up.

I live on the south west corner of a small lake. We are getting sustained NNE wind from across the lake at 20 MPH and gusting to 30 MPH. Forecast is for 45 MPH wind with 60+ gusts.

I have the generator gassed up and I made a pot of 1 alarm chili. Hopefully we are all set for the night.

I am expecting power to go out as the storm gears up in the early AM.

I just checked the weather and we are forecast to get 12"-18" of snow by 5 PM tomorrow. Under a Blizzard Warning due to the winds.

My Enviro EF-2 is cranking out 180 deg F heat. Living room is a comfortable 72. I have a 1/4 ton of New England's on hand as well as a whole pallet (1.3 tons) of Okanagan's so I have plenty of fuel for the fire.

I'll let you guys know how we made out in the AM if I have power.

---Nailer---

Good luck, it's not doing a thing here in Melrose (just north of Boston) yet...

Still nothing here in NW CT. South of me is getting it good. Hope you get through it with no issues. Look's like you will be stuck indoors for a bit. Good time to pellet test.

Stay warm nailer.
jay

Hey Nailer,
In Yarmouthport, woke up to snow on the windows on the second floor! Thankfully, just the wind.LOL.. Pellet stove was cranking all night, so it is toasty! Drinking coffee, waiting for the sun to come up so I can go snowshoeing or cross country skiing, a rare event on Cape Cod. When I come back, will start shoveling! Just hope we don't lose power and we HAVE school tomorrow...(I am a teacher!) HANG IN!
Marina

Well,

I still have power at 7 AM. Wind is howling. Hard to tell how much snow due to the wind moving it around. I would guess between 6"-10".

My weather system shows outside temps are 28 Deg F with 0 MPH wind. (Anemometer must be frozen with snow) I would guess wind is at 30 MPH and gusting.

The house is a comfortable 72 Deg F. Love my Pellet Stove.

Just hear from My sister in Harve de Grace, MD. They have 2 feet of snow on ground and their dog is confused with the snow. The dog is an 8 yr old German Shepard that has lived all of it's life in Fla.

Storm is supposed to last today until 5PM.

Thanks for your well wishes.

***Marina, you guys take care. They upped your snowfall amount forecast to the 12-16 range. I think School is going to be iffy tomorrow. :)

Thanks again,
---Nailer---

Storm just winding down here on Long Island. About 2ft. total on the ground. 4-5 ft drifts. NPS40 cranked all night an kept the house toasty. Almost time to go dig myself out

About 20" plus just north of Baltimore. Sun is out this morning and I guess the clean-up will begin!

We are lucky, I guess. We normally get nailed with these storms. I barely have 2 " out there. Looks like I only need my leaf blower to blow it of the deck and steps. Beats shoveling anyday. We hope everyone stays safe and warm.

take care.
jay

After looking more closely we prob got 2" here in N.Central Ct......burned again!!.may not be a white xmas by fri with temps going to upper 30's this week.

Dunno how much snow here but it's alot. Wind is blowing it around.
Do know that I shoveled a spot for my dog to go, the front walk,
and plowed my driveway and my neighbors at around 6 am and it doesn't
look like I ever touched it. Headed out soon to plow out some customers.
Have an ad in the paper so expecting the phone to start ringing as soon
as people start waking up and looking out the window.

On the + side. Stove has been cranked all night and it's a comfy 73F
in here. Stay warm folks!

gottahavvitt said:
Here in Western Mass at the foothills to the Berkshires we got a total of about 1/2 inch of snow which is fine with me.
Central Berkshires here and no snow at all. :cheese:
This never happens in the Berkshires.
Still have about 10" on the ground from the last storm.

about 4" just northwest of Worcester. " A dustin' ".
We got more than this a couple of weeks ago.

jtakeman said:
..... We normally get nailed with these storms. I barely have 2 " out there. Looks like I only need my leaf blower to blow it of the deck and steps........

Same here jay...about 1 1/2" of powder......the leaf blower took care of it no problem. My back is saying "thank you". I was expecting the worst, but this was nothing. Happy man here! :)

16" inches here and just got in from shoveling...My Back!

RETIRED GVA said:
Seeing is believing........PICS PLEASE PEOPLE :cheese:

Here you go

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 395
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 393
We didn't get any snow here in Cheeseland... but more is coming Thursday.

My contribution. We got around 15" I'd say.
I made several benjamins and nothing broke
so no complaints here. Nailed nailer (chili guy)
is on the Cape and they got slammed a little
worse than where I am.

Oh, and there was no snow on the ground here
prior to this event so that gives you an idea about
the pile to the right of my garage. :cheese:

znr22v.jpg

2l8yzbb.jpg

30xih54.jpg

been40.jpg

308llea.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.