Cape cod fire logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rover47

Oct 2, 2006
Albany New York
Just saw these in an article in the Cape Cod Times. Anyone have any experience with them?

It looks like a briquette made by a Weima machine. I saw much the same size product made by a machine when I visited the Weima facility in South Carolina. It should burn much the same as a square brick. However, the machine is much lower capacity and is really designed for byproduct management from a small manufacturer. The machine can be used to briquette shredded paper or other dust just to make handling and disposal cheaper. Consequently, this is likely a very low volume operation and the product is best used as a convenience fuel for starting, campfires, and decorative fires in fireplaces. I would guess that it is sold as a premium substitute for bundled firewood for $7 or $8 for a 25 pound box with that nice handle. We considered selling Liberty bricks in a box like that but decided that for now, the cost of setting up another packaging line combined with the cost of the box (about $1 each with all the printing and folding) did not look feasible. We would have to charge double the cost to pack our product that way.

The only downside to the shape is that you must not stack the logs on their round sides because they are perfect cylinders and will roll off of any grate as the one underneath burns away.

Status
Not open for further replies.