Capping the Vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
I have seen in several threads where people talk about capping the vent. I take it this is something that is done at the end of the heating season?

What is the purpose?

Necessary on vertical exhausts or is it horizontal only?

New to this pellet thing.

Thanks,

Mike

It is done to keep moisture and pests out of your stove. I use this from Home Depot.
69b15564-20f1-4632-98bf-e06ffa7760d5_300.jpg

Zoom​
Email
Print
Fernco 3 in. PVC DWV Flexible Cap

Model # PQC-103
Store SKU # 688088
translucent.gif

Write the first review
$4.21 /EA-Each

I never cap mine and never had rust.I don't have an oak.I think rust is more likely to happen if you have an oak and don't cap
.I guess it makes since to do.Good question,,Looking forward to the replies

I capped mine at the end of the season with cap in picture. I'm glad I did! Lots of people are complaining about moisture and rust in the stove.

I found a lot of rust inside this year. I'm now a believer and will cap and place Damp Rid in the ash pan next year.

You need to cap your venting if there is an OAK or if you have humidity issues inside your house, The chimney effect will pull humid air through the stove leading to rust inside the stove and even in the vent (when there is any corrosion in it).

Even leaving ash inside the stove can not prevent this from happening if there is a lot of humidity.

Some places (dry places) will not have this issue. It is possible for rust to happen even if you are running a dehumidifier if the stove has an OAK.

Block both the vent and the OAK, remove all ash and provide a protective coating of an oil (Pam will do) on all interior stove surfaces.

I also sprayed the inside of my stove with Pam. I placed damp rid in the hopper, burn pot, and in the ash pan. Should I have sprayed the ash pan?

So to cap the vent up on the roof, I take off the termination cap and put one of those devices on? Also the OAK looks like a dryer vent, how would I put a cap on it?

Any part of the interior of your stove that is open to air flow needs a coating.

My ash pan is one that needs to be coated, those that are closed off from the firebox and require something to be opened in order for the ash to be pushed into them usually don't need extra attention.

Follow the air, it tells all you need to know about a pellet stove.

So to cap the vent up on the roof, I take off the termination cap and put one of those devices on? Also the OAK looks like a dryer vent, how would I put a cap on it?

Think of plugging it not capping it in that case or even disconnecting the OAK at the stove and plugging both the OAK end in the house and the air intake on the stove.

I suppose instead of climbing on the roof twice a year to cap/uncap the exhaust, it would be easier to just disconnect the cleanout tee from the back of the stove and cap both ends.

FWIW,
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

- Thomas Jefferson

Appears to be misattributed - there doesn't seem to be any evidence that Jefferson said that. Gerald Ford was the speaker and a speech writer probably made it up. Similar quotes are also often misattributed to Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan.

From wikiquotes:

Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.

Yeah, I found that out awhile back when I e-mailed the Jefferson Library and was told the same thing, just haven't got around to changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.