1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Caps for supervent pipe

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wacnstac, Nov 20, 2013.

1. wacnstac

wacnstac Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I have 6in (inner pipe) Supervent twist lock pipe for my chimney. When it pours very hard the stock supervent chimney cap lets water in down the pipe. I'm looking for a new cap. My question is are there any other caps with a solid top that will work with the Supervent stuff?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
  3. cableman

cableman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    long island
    Dam i would of bought a differant one but i thought the delux cap just had problem with birds! I wrapped it with some ss lashing wire for more bird protection and now i gotta worry bout rain too!
  4. wacnstac

wacnstac Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Wow, is this just a rain cap that goes on top of the existing cap, or a whole new cap? If it is just a rain cap that goes over the existing cap, what holds it on there?
  5. wacnstac

wacnstac Member

Loc:
    Ohio
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
  7. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    That is the whole cap.

How far does your chimney penetrate the roof? Is it possible that rain is hitting the roof and splashing up into the cap? It has happened.
  8. cableman

Loc:
    long island
    Thats the way the deluxe cap is suppose to look, what do u meen with out the top?
  9. wacnstac

wacnstac Member

Loc:
    Ohio
  10. cableman

Loc:
    long island
    I remember a thread where some one else had this problem and it turned out to be one of the seams in the supervent chimney it self. Are you sure its the cap? Can you look up into it when its raining? Next time it poors stick a bag over it, if your not using it of course.
    jeff_t likes this.
  11. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I was thinking about this, too. I caulk the seam on the first section of pipe thru the flashing. I smear it in there good with my finger, all the way down to the flashing. Water can get into the seam and ride it all the way down, even with a good bead around the flashing and storm collar.
  12. wacnstac

wacnstac Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    It now has a garbage bag over the cap so I guess I will find out the next time it rains.
  13. cableman

Loc:
    long island
    Im gonna stick some flowable silicone on the seams of mine just incase!
  14. wacnstac

wacnstac Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    How hot do those outside seams get? I read those old threads with interest as I have supervent pipe as well. Also added one of these this summer [​IMG] Wonder if the cable wrapped around the supervent might be making an inherent seam issue worse.
  15. cableman

Loc:
    long island
    Good call on that 1st seam! I went up there when i got home and siliconed it. I also noticed at the top of each seam it just ends and water could prolly get in there too so i just dabbed the top of the other pipes.