Car fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Well, about the only burning going on today wasn't too clean. I got held up at a ramp in Fall River, MA - the guy was fine, but he said it was his wives car. He declined my offer to send him high-res photos of the carnage.

Attachments

• carfire1.jpg
    carfire1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 609
  • carfire2.jpg
    carfire2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 606
  • carfire3.jpg
    carfire3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 606
Might need some upholstery work and a nice detailing job. %-P

From the intensity it just has to be a busted fuel line with that high pressure fuel injection fuel pump feeding it. Wow!

When you see smoke folks, turn off the ignition key.

Webmaster said:
...I guess the wheels might still be good.

Maybe the rears...I wouldn't count on the fronts.

Webmaster said:
. He declined my offer to send him high-res photos of the carnage.

I can't imagine why he would decline such a generous offer....betcha he ain't a woodburner....he prolly does not "dig" fire like we do... ;-)
Or he thought you were a weirdo takin pics of the fire and he did not want to give you any personal info...just in case... :lol:

Webmaster said:
Well, about the only burning going on today wasn't too clean. I got held up at a ramp in Fall River, MA - the guy was fine, but he said it was his wives car. He declined my offer to send him high-res photos of the carnage.
I guess that fire dept. couldn't afford SCBAs, to keep their firefighters safe from breathing the smoke and the explosions. Back to the fifties!
Ed

Webmaster said:
Ain't gonna be much salvage in that baby.....after they hosed the outside, they opened the hood and hosed that. I guess the wheels might still be good.

I don't know...keep an eye out on ebay for a "Smokin' Hot" late model Toyota Celica with "like new paint and interior". "This baby is HOT, won't last long (the car or the deal?), buy NOW!"

colebrookman said:
Webmaster said:
I guess that fire dept. couldn't afford SCBAs, to keep their firefighters same from breathing the smoke and the explosions. Back to the fifties!
Ed

I love the smell of napalm . . . I mean burning plastic in the morning.

(Cough, cough, cough) ;) :)

two times in my life i pulled people from burning vehicles. whats up with that? the vehicles were not at the stage of combustion as in the pic, but they were still hot. the drivers of both vehicles (about 3 yrs apart) insisted on staying in the vehicle and trying to restart the engine!! actually had to grab them and pull them out telling them if they stay much longer, they are the ones that will need restarting!
after i got them out, we stayed and waited for the fire dept. to arrive, and watched the rest of the vehicle go up

colebrookman said:
Webmaster said:
I guess that fire dept. couldn't afford SCBAs, to keep their firefighters safe from breathing the smoke and the explosions. Back to the fifties!
Ed

Fall River, MA....heck, they are lucky they had gas for the truck!

Webmaster said:
colebrookman said:
Webmaster said:
Ed

Fall River, MA....heck, they are lucky they had gas for the truck!
Could be but more likely lack of training and enforcement by the officers. It worked in the fifties and it's good enough for us now. Some fire departments will never learn or accept that there are better and safer ways.
Ed

Maybe he didn't want pictures because the car is HOT!

I think this car did two similar explosions - before the firefighters showed up.

They were fairly careful - two of them used the hose from a good distance(15-20 ft) until the fire was out, then one guy came closer and did some more work. Looking at that vid, though, you'd think they would have had some masks on.

Ya the explosions are caused by water hitting the magnesium.
Ed

Hello Craig

Last Saturday afternoon, I was in the bumper to bumper traffic on RT 3 South just before the Sagamore Bridge in Bourne.

All of a sudden the car in the right lane a little ahead of me started blowing some serious burnt oil smelling smoke!!!

The pic below from in front does not show all the smoke and smell you get when your behind it!!

But I bet that car's engine is like that old dessert pudding called "Junket"

Anyone know what kind of car that is?
See pics below:

Attachments

• IMG01112-20110730-1517sc.jpg
    IMG01112-20110730-1517sc.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG01111-20110730-1508sc.jpg
    IMG01111-20110730-1508sc.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG01111-20110730-1508sc1.jpg
    IMG01111-20110730-1508sc1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 198
  • JunketDessert.jpg
    JunketDessert.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 195
Don2222 said:
Hello Craig

Last Saturday afternoon, I was in the bumper to bumper traffic on RT 3 South just before the Sagamore Bridge in Bourne.

All of a sudden the car in the right lane a little ahead of me started blowing some serious burnt oil smelling smoke!!!

The pic below from in front does not show all the smoke and smell you get when your behind it!!

See pics below:

Hello Don

My guess it is a Nissan Altima...

GAMMA RAY said:
Don2222 said:
Hello Craig

See pics below:

Hello Don

My guess it is a Nissan Altima...

Thanks for the educated guess!

Webmaster said:
Well, I've learned one new thing.
That is, whenever a car fire is suspected, turn the sucker OFF and GET OUT. That seems like common sense, but obviously it is not.

. . . or at least make sure the car insurance is all paid up. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.