Car powered by Wood Pellets! -- 10 cents per mile !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well one mile per pound!! Wow!! I wonder if the car heater has a nice FLAME !!!! LOL

Should be nice and warm in the winter time!! Does it take 20 mins to start up???

So if a 40 lb bag of wood pellets is $4.00 that is .10 cents per mile !!

Gas at $3.50 per gallon for say 25 mpg car is 14 cents per mile!!

Wood pellet car burns way to speed record

http://www.sungazette.com/page/cont...t-car-burns-way-to-speed-record.html?nav=5011

Making use of sawdust before it piles as waste at landfills, a local alternative energy advocate combusts wood pellets in a car that has established a world speed record.

Robert "Chip" Beam said he traveled last month from his South Williamsport home to the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah where his two-door sedan was clocked at just under 48 mph, its top speed on the mile-long course.

Recordkeepers still are searching for words to describe the feat accomplished without using gasoline, as Beam said his 1989 Mercury Cougar XR7 is completely powered by burning wood pellets manufactured from timber debris often collected at furniture-crafting workshops.

"There's no category for a wood-powered car," Beam said of the different vehicle speed records recorded at the World of Speed 2010 event in Utah.

Now that a record's been established, Beam hopes it's challenged by himself or someone else at next year's competition.

"This year, we set the record. Next year, we're hoping to break the record," Beam said of the accomplishment achieved with the rear trunk combustion system he and his business partner Larry Shilling of Alfred, N.Y., constructed in just a few weekends for their Beaver Energy company.

The company, according to Beam, strives to research and develop carbon neutral energy resources as an alternative to foreign oil dependence.

Similar vehicles could be powered on pellets from grass shavings or other debris, according to Beam.

The car he took to Utah included sponsorship assistance from the local Larson Design Group, where Beam is employed as a computer aided design and drafting professional.

He said his wood-powered car is registered, insured and licensed to drive on streets and highways, as he said he's driven it from mid-state New York to here for a cost about the same as buying gasoline.

Beam said his special car has made the 120-mile trip from Alfred, N.Y., to Williamsport for just under $20 in wood fuel costs.

Explaining his fuel mileage is about "a mile a pound," Beam said a 2,000-pound package of wood pellets can be purchased for anywhere between $200-$300.

The cost could be even cheaper if people are willing to make their own pellets with a pelletizer, which Beam said can be purchased for about $1,300.

"Not real expensive," he said.

Attachments

• WoodPelletCar.jpg
    WoodPelletCar.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 626
Now that is very cool. I wonder what the pellet storage is? Would need what, a 200lb or so hopper for a decent trip. Could it power an alternator so it would charge a battery and run a radio/ac? What happens, do you turn a key and the electronic ignition kicks in? Makes for a slow getaway car. Still very cool and its good to see folks working on this kind of thing.

Hello

It would seem strange to go to Home depot for a fill-up!

I hope they wash the windows too!!! LOL

I bet the window defroster works real good!!!

Dont understand how it's actually powered, being a Ford Technician for a living I dont understand how the engine is being powered by pellet's, or the transmission is being turned..........
No information is being presented.

Well, don't go to the news for actual news. Google his name and there are several articles with more depth. Basically looks like he is making 'wood gas' then feeding that to the standard internal combustion engine.

While it's cool pellets are around $8 bag here and my car gets 45mpg with diesel at $3.95/gal so that's $0.08/mile... and I can still use the trunk and not have it filled with all that stuff in the photos.

Pellet-King said:
Dont understand how it's actually powered, being a Ford Technician for a living I dont understand how the engine is being powered by pellet's, or the transmission is being turned..........
No information is being presented.

Wood gas generator

Status
Not open for further replies.