1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Carb Cleaner?

Post in 'The Gear' started by truck243, Feb 21, 2013.

1. truck243

truck243 Member

Loc:
    louisville ky
    Can I use carb cleaner in my chaisaw's gas/oil mix?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    You talking something like sea foam? startron?

You looking for just general maintenance or are you hoping to clean the carb to solve a problem?
  3. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Like Hot gas or another injector cleaner additive? More info needed I think.

I put seafoam and Motokote in every once in a while. Just a little with a fill up. I have never sprayed carb cleaner into the gas though
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Read the bottle, as long as it does not forbid use in 2-cycle engines, have at it.

Curiosity is getting the best of me, what is it you want to add and why?
    ScotO likes this.
  5. truck243

truck243 Member

Loc:
    louisville ky
    Well, it will start and run perfect, but after awhile, will sputter and stall. It has a new fuel line and filter.It did sit in a garage for many years.I dont feel like doing a carb rebuild, but may have to
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Save yourself the grief and rebuild that carb. you'll probably find that the fuel line and impulse line will need some attention, too. Thanks to the wonderful additive in our fuel we all know as Ethanol, fuel will continue to be worse and worse on our OPE. Carb overhauls are very easy, very inexpensive and will make a world of difference on a hard-to-start or run motor....
  7. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Make sure the tank is venting properly too.
  8. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Are you certain it's not losing spark once warmed up?
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Doesn't sound like it needs a carb rebuild.

+1 Check spark immediately after it dies.

Yup!

If spark checks out, open the fuel cap. If you hear it hiss, like opening a bottle, then you're vacuum locked and most likely have an issue with the tank vent. If that's the case, or you don't hear that hissing sound, you should be able to restart the saw once you have vented the tank by opening and re-closing the fuel cap.

Still no luck? Then start looking into fuel line (pressure test, visual inspection for cracks), impulse line, or carb diapragms. But I have a strong suspicion you'll get it solved before you get to this point. ;)
  10. truck243

truck243 Member

Loc:
    louisville ky
    thanks guys
  11. biggkidd

biggkidd New Member

I would stay away from startron its real hard on exhaust seats. Seen several new (500 hrs or less) with burned exhaust seats. Only thing we found in commen was the owners were using that particular additive. Different size and types of engines. One honda eng was so bad it took two full turns of the adj. nut to get the valve to seat.
    Do chek spark once it cuts off coils are bad about that a small crack spreads as it gets hot and quits firing or fires intermitantly.

Larry
  12. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    Is there crap in the screen in the carb? Might be worth looking there.

Basically, there is NEVER a good reason to run crap through your saw's carb. Fuel-oil mix is all it ought to see, period. If it isn't running right, find the problem and address it; a fix-in-a-bottle is not the answer.