Carbon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
What's the deal with carbon buildup around the burnpot? What causes it? Is this just a fact of life with Harmans or is it all stoves? There are some days when I clean, it takes a lot of elbow grease to get it off! Is this another by product of burning cheap pellets? If I went to a higher end pellet would that help?

Bigjim13 said:
What's the deal with carbon buildup around the burnpot? What causes it? Is this just a fact of life with Harmans or is it all stoves? There are some days when I clean, it takes a lot of elbow grease to get it off! Is this another by product of burning cheap pellets? If I went to a higher end pellet would that help?

From what I gather, burning pellets on low constantly will cause this, as well as burning with a "lazy" flame.

Ahhh, the infamous "Harman Speedbump". I scrape my P61A burnpot
every two bags, & I don't seem to have an issue. My daughter, on the
other hand flat out refuses to do it that often & it riles me, but I get in
there & whack away at it til it's cleared. I've found that burning softwood
pellets gives me just as much heat - maybe a TAD more - & a much
smaller "speedbump", but you may find otherwise. I can't speak to the
different pellets other than that, as I generally burn products certified by
American Biofuels, both soft & hardwood varieties...

Status
Not open for further replies.