Careful cooking on woodstove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
Home destroyed after water thrown on grease fire

By Christine Pizzuti
Poughkeepsie Journal

PLEASANT VALLEY - A man lost his home Tuesday to a grease fire that started in the living room on the first floor of his two-story, wood-frame house on Route 82, across from the state trooper barracks.

"It was a complete and total loss," Pleasant Valley fire Chief Chuck Tuttle said. "It was started by a grease fire, and the individual threw water on the grease fire, which exploded the fire."

He said baking soda or smothering are ideal methods to quell a grease fire, but to never use water, as it only exacerbates the problem.

The man, who was the only resident of the home, was cooking on the wood stove when the fire started. There were no injuries.

There were about 80 firefighters on the scene from Pleasant Valley, Stanford, Fairview, East Clinton, Millbrook and Arlington fire departments. Roosevelt and Millbrook departments relocated to staff the Pleasant Valley stations.

Also responding were Alamo EMS, the fire investigation division, American Red Cross of Dutchess County and Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp., which cut the power to the home.

State police and some firefighters directed traffic, as Route 82 was closed at the intersection at Route 44 and Clinton Corners Road.

Fire personnel were dispatched at 2:55 p.m. and cleared the scene at 9 p.m.

The Red Cross provided the resident with a place to stay for the night.

Tuttle said the fire is probably the worst structure fire the department has seen this year.

Well, that could have happened even on the kitchen range....

Yep, I'm sure the focus will some how be put on the wood stove, rather than the inappropriate method of putting out the fire.

Wow, what a small world. This fire is about 3 miles from my house and blocked my way home last night - had to detour because Rt. 82 was blocked with loads of firetrucks.

We were there after the house was mostly gone but the entire valley smelled at least a mile back and we were wondering what happened. On the way into work today, I saw it - absolute total loss.

-Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.