careful with da ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dump mine in the snow... if it burns there's less to shovel...

Krooser,

Does West coast snow burn better than East coast snow? Do you folks out there favor soft snow vs hard snow ( like your pellets)?

Seriously, the post reminding people to be careful with ash disposal was timely and important.

Ranger

Remember don't eat the yellow snow.

Like krooser, I dump mine in the snow that covers the compost piles and my preference is for a nice fluffy soft snow. It has better insulation qualities and will maintain the embers longer thus resulting in maximum heat retention and recovery.

The OP is correct NEVER dispose of ashes near anything that can burn or where they can be blown onto anything that can burn.

I am always careful with me ash.
Edit:
I cover them with dirt in the garden until the ground freeze's. Then as SmokeyTheBear I'll cover them with snow. I also have a steel can they can get dumped in if there is no snow around. In the spring I use the ashes from that can for the flower beds and lawn. If I think I sucked up anything hot with the vac it goes out for the night, Just in case.

Agreed nothing to fool with.

Put them out in the garden which is now a snow garden.
I always shut the stove down 24 hrs prior to cleaning
so the ashes are stone cold by the time they get dumped outside.
I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.