Carpenter ants and the like...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcloud5400

Nov 4, 2013
USA
So how do you fellas handle the vermin if they infiltrate your wood shed? do you try to locate the center and remove/burn it, spray, borax?

I picked up some wood that has carpenter ants, I missed it during the gathering and splitting, but dont want them to spread for sure...I only saw a small pocket of them...say 5 to 8?

I had my third burn this weekend, and noticed them just sitting on some freshly split pieces--I would hate to rehandle all of the wood.

I live in Northern Ohio. The winters here are cold, the wood is moved into the shop (unheated) for convenience. Maybe its worth moving it all out...its only about a cords worth of split cherry.

If we find them while splitting, the rounds go into the outdoor burn pit away from the house. While they will only infest wet wood, I can't stand them (we had a HUGE issue with them at our old house and after tens of thousands of them came spilling out of the wall when we tore into the drywall, I don't want them anywhere near this house). If I find them inside I squish them or throw the split into the stove.

Other bugs, spiders etc, I move outside if I find them along for the ride. Except yellow jackets which will also get the squishing (we had it happen two or three times). If it stings or might try to chew on my house, I squish it. If it's just a bug being a bug, I kick it out.

Reactions: ErikR and raybonz
Ain't no thing but a chicken wing. As long as the wood is in cold storage the critters are very dormant. I have had wood stored in an old chicken coop literally for years (the same batch of wood) - not a single critter invaded the wood (framing). Mice - a different story.
If attached to my house, I would consider moving any unburnt wood at the end of the season.

Reactions: Redcloud5400
We had CA's in our basement when we bought our house 3 years ago. I bought some stuff online, see below, but anyway its little sprinkles. They gather the little sprinkles up and take them back to thier nests. After about 3 months, I've never seen another CA inside.

I also put them around the deck in Spring/Summer cause they try to comeback. I use empty plastic screw boxes, the one with the snap open lid. I first cut horizontal slots in each side so they can come and go. Sprinkle the "feed" inside and close the lid. Put it right in front of my wood racks too. That stuff really works.

Advance Carpenter Ant Bait-8 oz 669578

Reactions: albert1029
also, CA's have a symbiotic relationship with aphids. So be on watch if you see aphids close to your house. And do not spray CA's with anything. It causes them to multiply faster and also to split into more colonies. So you could end up with more than you had to begin with.

One thing I remember about ants is they only live to serve a Queen. Find her and dethrone her.:)
It was said best that they don't move much in cool or frigid weather. Keep em cold.

I just split a few pieces on Sunday that were pretty heavily infested. They were set apart and will be burned as soon as they go in the house. Also my chickens like to peck at those pieces. If it's summer, or just warmer, and I'm splitting and find a group, I usually set those pieces apart for a few weeks and the ants go away.

Reactions: Redcloud5400
We had CA's in our basement when we bought our house 3 years ago. I bought some stuff online, see below, but anyway its little sprinkles. They gather the little sprinkles up and take them back to thier nests. After about 3 months, I've never seen another CA inside.

I also put them around the deck in Spring/Summer cause they try to comeback. I use empty plastic screw boxes, the one with the snap open lid. I first cut horizontal slots in each side so they can come and go. Sprinkle the "feed" inside and close the lid. Put it right in front of my wood racks too. That stuff really works.

I can vouch for that product - I use it extensively as we've had carpenter ants ever since we move in 10 years ago - well, up until the last couple years. I started using this (I buy it in a gallon can) anytime I see CAs around. They do carry it back to their nests it seems as the numbers of these buggers have been falling each year. I have also used a gel in the house. I have gotten my supplies from a do it yourself pest control web site.

+2 on the Advance it's a good product and works great. Another product is called Termidor SC...when diluted properly you can spray it on the ants you see and/or do a perimeter treatment...it isn't a repellant and doesn't kill them right away, they pass it on to the others until they are eliminated...I'm not sure about its availability to the general public...

I've used the same stuff with good luck. It's not cheap, but it works.

I wouldn't freak out about a few ants. I would take action if you start to see them regularly. Remember, only a queen can start a new infestation. A few stray workers or soldiers can't. Same for termites.

also, CA's have a symbiotic relationship with aphids. So be on watch if you see aphids close to your house. And do not spray CA's with anything. It causes them to multiply faster and also to split into more colonies. So you could end up with more than you had to begin with.

Insecticides will not touch carpenter ants or termites. Talstar is a termiticide and is labelled as being effective against CAs. I spray every 90 days, per label. Also can be used on woodpiles, with waiting period before burning specified on label.

All great posts...thank you everyone. I think the pile I have will be gone in a few months of heating. This is an out building and only heated when I am out there which might be a few nights a week, and weekends. I have found permethrin to be effective for perimeters as well, but not as eco friendly as say diatomaceous earth or the granules you're talking about. I will look into that advance too. The few truck loads of wood I just picked up, I can't guarantee there isn't a queen in there, but I know the cord or so I have in the shop now will not last the winter. The balance 2 or so cord are outside and tarped. The few stragglers I saw were probably just inconvenienced because I broke into their boroughs--these guys were not 'seasoned' prior to my 4rth firing tonight!

Shifting gears its 35 out tonight, had the shop up to a toasty 72 with some strategically placed garbage picked oscillating fans :) Enjoyed the evening with my oldest daughter (9 yrs old) working a pinewood derby car. She likes the stove, and it made for some quality time I wouldn't otherwise have had due to the weather.

Edit: might have to get me some chickens ;)

Shifting gears its 35 out tonight, had the shop up to a toasty 72 with some strategically placed garbage picked oscillating fans :) Enjoyed the evening with my oldest daughter (9 yrs old) working a pinewood derby car. She likes the stove, and it made for some quality time I wouldn't otherwise have had due to the weather.

Edit: might have to get me some chickens ;)

Nice...busted out the derby cars tonight also. Polish those axels!

Status
Not open for further replies.