Carpenter ants in Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
OK....I talked with an Entomologist this past week and when I ask him about using spray to kill the ants in our firewood while it "Cures" He told me that if the wood is kept away from water the ants will not stay. They need water to live and will not live in a wood pile that is dry. He also told me that he would not burn any wood that has been sprayed with anything that kills the ants. I put allot of faith in in knowlege of both the life cycle of bugs and the side effects of the chemicals used to control creepy crawlies.

Probably a good idea about the burning of wood sprayed with ant spray or any other spray. I have sprayed only a few pieces but don't anymore now that I have learned they won't stay anyway. We try to use very little poison at our house but there are a few times when it really does become necessary.

I have seen many carpenter ants when I'm splitting. Always wondered where they disappeared to. Never seen any squirming in the fire. Seems like after the splits dry out they move out. Hopefully not into my house?

Also just watch your wood when you bring it in and if you see a piece with a lot of cavities maybe burn it first,then there is certainly no worries. Even that is probably not neccessary, I just do it out of habit.

I have taken several entomolgy courses and completely agree with your entomolgy friend. Cut, split and dry your wood and any ants will depart for points unknown. No chemicals necessary and I would never want to burn pesticide sprayed wood in my stove.

So then what about our homes. Ants should then not infest your home unless there is wet wood right? Leaky plumbing, Leaky roof, siding, crawspace flooding, etc. No water = no ants?

Ants don't need to have water at their nest to thrive. Back in CT, I stayed in a summer cottage that hadn't been lived in for several years. After several nights hearing something munching I located a major carpenter ant nest. The house was not leaking anywhere. Bone dry inside. They had actually devastated the insides of the exterior corner of the kitchen wall, then moved in and made their way to the nest. The sucker was about 2' x 2'!

However, I concur, don't spray the woodpile with pesticide. Sprinkle common borax on the ground before stacking and then around and in the pile.

BeGreen,
I am only relating a conversation I had with a PHD Entomologist last week. He really is a nice Man and I don't think he would "Sell me a Bill of Goods" but, I will make a point of asking him again. I may have misunderstood what he was saying and I wouldn't be the first time I have gotten something wrong.
Mike

mtarbert said:
BeGreen,
I am only relating a conversation I had with a PHD Entomologist last week. He really is a nice Man and I don't think he would "Sell me a Bill of Goods" but, I will make a point of asking him again. I may have misunderstood what he was saying and I wouldn't be the first time I have gotten something wrong.

Well sadly, I have to say that I was in that business for awhile. True, they get in only cause there is dampness somewhere, and then they munch and munch. But they don`t just go away, they will carve out their new homes in perfectly dry wood once they have establised a colony. they will even carve out new homes in styrofoam insulation.

bottom line is place chemicals where they have to walk on them coming and going, there is really no other solultion. there just isn`t ,, and keep in mind that most products that you can buy only have a residual value of 30 days max. so be prepared to apply more than once. a dusting powder is almost always more effective than any liquid.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.