Carpet Cleaners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnn

Dec 8, 2008
so.Ill
Over the years, I have always rented commercial machines from different sources to clean my carpets. I`ve considered purchasing the type which resembles a upright vacumne, and am wondering if there are any out there durable enough someone could recommend

Without question , at the price of carpet simple vacumning should be done more often than I do. Installing carpet is one thing my son could teach me, which he learned from summer jobs years back. The seamers and stretchers are rental items, or could possibly still borrow them. Your two cleanings a year...is that with your bissell or rental? I was once told the models with 5 scrubbing brushes were preferred over the ones with six. Once I had mine done professionally which utilized high pressure followed by high vacumne which did an amazing job. I thought most your home owner types uses scrubbing brushes or steam. I just never see the steam models lasting long enough to pay for itself vs renting, and would be harsh on the carpet. But what do I know?

We have a Kirby with the carpet cleaner attachment - it does OK but not great, and goes through the expensive solution fairly fast... It is a better vacuum than it is a carpet scrubber, but...

Gooserider

The rentals are reasonable enough,,,I`m thinking maybe a economical model for heavy traffic areas, and furniture,, Thanks guys

Nothing wrong with having the tool on hand when needed, actually nothing better! Good game plan!

With pets, the "upright" style carpet cleaner that we bought has come in very handy.

From pee spots, to poop smears, to vomit stains... (sorry... i Couldn't resist).

My wife uses a dilute mix of hydrogen peroxide and water instead of the expensive cleaner solutions. It works great in the carpet cleaner machine, as well as for spot-cleanup. We've been quite happy with the results.

-SF

If you want a carpet cleaning machine to have in your house, spend the money and get a commercial unit. My house initially had light beige carpets which showed every speck of dirt in the universe. I thoroughly researched carpet cleaners in Consumer Reports, and bought a Bissel Proheat model that cost $300.00. Well, it worked twice and then broke. Yep, twice, and then it stopped spraying hot water and it lost vaccum. The manufacturer refused to repair it under warranty as they claimed that it had to have been abused for it to fail after only two uses. Well, thank you for a $300.00 paperweight. I took it on to the deck, spun around like a discus thrower, and heaved my $300.00 paperweight as far as I could. It sat in he yard for a few months, gathering weeds and crap before I took it to the curb. Screw the carpets I said, and in went white oak flooring. Problem solved.

Too bad for your loss. as mentioned earlier a friend I worked with use to clean carpets, so I hired him once for a rental we were moving out of. Carpet was almost white in the dining room, with a touch of pink. Was sure it wouldn`t clean up and would lose my deposit,,but that commercial unit did the job.Had a nozzle shaped like the vacumns at the car wash, which injected high pressure, then high vacumne through a clear shield so you could see when the water was extracted. Used an eco friendly solution you could dump in the yard and had a large holding tank. About 3000 dollars 8 years ago,,a little much for the house, unless you could make some part time money here and there. Probably could have a return similiar to burning wood with a lot less work.

ML..I have one similar to Aaron....and seems to work pretty good.
http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/uprightdeepcleaner/p/ProHeat+2X/product.aspx
We have pets and 3 kids, so it makes good work on the berber carpet with the the traffic.
Its not going to get wine stains out from 3 years ago, but based on the price it works well. (You can also use different solutions as others have posted...such as a mix of peroxide, etc....not sure if it would affect the warrantee)
We use it every 3 months or so.....needs a good cleaning when doen before you put it away.
Good luck.

I have a hoover spin doctor, it has five brushes does a nice job, I have been told to put a have cup of white vinegar in the water and use the soap and that does an amazing job. I have used mine 2-3 times a year never any problems but I only have one room with carpet and the rest is hardwood.

Hmmm,,peroxide,,vinegar,, I`ll make note of those> Wonder if anyone has tried that "dura clean II", picked it up at the wood workers show,, specifies carpet and furniture cleaner

Webmaster, can you delete Parkerblue, they are just advertising for their site...

PB is gone... We try to get rid of spammers quickly, though sometimes (like this one) it's a bit of a judgement call on the "spam level" of such a post... (Hint - people that stick links in their first few posts are more likely to be seen as spammers as opposed to folks that have been around. Also a factor is just how helpful the post is w/o the link...)

Gooserider

A bunch of years ago I rented a unit that had brushes on it.
I was unhappy with it because it messed up the pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.