Carry-On 5x8 trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I have been looking for a 5x8 trailer with high capacity . I came across the carry-on brand. I liked it because it has a 3500 lb axle with brake flanges which I would plan on adding one day. It is rated for 2990 lbs so it can be sold without brakes. I heard that this brand is sold at some of the big box stores but not to the same specs as on their website. Does anyone have any knowledge of this trailer?

http://www.carry-ontrailer.com/products/group/5/

I think it would be a OK trailer.
Realizing it is easy to overload a single axle trailer with fire wood .
I have one 7 X 10 single axle, 3500 # that I've been using for firewood & lots of other stuff.
I know it gets over loaded pretty easy.
with 3000#s, Brakes would be nice ! ;ex

I recently upgraded to a dual axle/brakes , (got it used) so I can haul a cord of green birch per trip.

I see similar ones at Lowes but have not looked at them close. not sure of the weight limitations.
Price are high IMO. (But shipping to Alaska is part of the reason)

What is the max tow rating of your rig?
Ratings here

Link to some nice trailers: (they have a 5000 # single axle one with brakes!)
HeavyHaul trailers

I don't see why that wouldn't work for a nice little utility trailer. I have a 5 x 10 with 3500# axle and it has hauled mountains of wood. I do have to say though, after having an open side trailer - when it comes to wood hauling, I sure do like enclosed sides.
100_1050SM.jpg

A few years ago I picked up a single axle folddown campiing trailer (Palamino), but only the box. The top and inside equip was gone. Forgot the tire size but they're the wide type. I paid $50 for the trailer and added 2 new tires which was $100. The trailer box size is 7'x10' and a good size face cord was the limit.
I used it for wood hauling for a couple years but now one of my sons hauls my wood with his 1-ton flat bed Ford.

Nice thing about this trailer is, it has sides. Like Jags said, it is nice to have enclosed sides.

I have the 6 x 10 and have the loaded the crap out of it!! ;)

No worries. Holds its own for a single axle. I put a 36" side kit on it. With the same reclaimed wood from my old horse fence (also sided my woodshed) :)

Click to enlarge

image.jpg image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.