carrying chains in the field

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always hand file as needed while I cut. I have a new chain in its box with me just in case I really mess up the one on the saw. I usually take both saws with me too just in case.

Describe "in the field", VS "in the back yard or back 40".
Ever see a logging outfit not have spares & tools when "in the field"?

When I talking going into the field, it's a 15 mile drive, then a 1 mile, one lane trail, then the ATV a few hundred yard into the woods.

Chains sprayed with light oil in zip lock bags wrapped in a rag in the bottom of the tool box. Teeth banging together can dull it.

I have a "Saw" tool box with tools for the saw, sharpening, minor maintenance & spare chains.
Hope not to need any of it but if I do, having it saves "bad language" & time.

Hang 'em from the rear view mirror on the windshield of the truck. Yes, they are touching the floor when you do that, but they never get tangled and they make a nice decoration....better than fuzzy dice! ;)

Real men just wear them around their neck! ::-)

I just bought the same leather pouch. . . Gonna love it!

I do the same with chains. Never really had a problem untangling.

My Bro-in-Law keeps an extra bar and chain in a PVC tube. Its stays protected and as tight as it is, the chain stays on. Plus room for new chains along the side of the PVC tube.

View attachment 71217

Where can I purchase one of these leather pouches? I like it.

At Baileys.... Less than $20.

I think they have a special right now. Free shipping and $10 off your next order? (Have to spend $50 and may have to sign up for emails from them?? Not sure?).

But it has several pockets and seems built well.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=278&item=979 $15 by itself,$18 w/ quick release nylon belt. I ordered this also. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=278&item=1148

Plus the small & large Husqvarna timber tongs.Free shipping for orders $100 & over.Everything was much cheaper than the complete Husqvarna tool belt,which had at least 1 item I didnt need or would use.

Reactions: DexterDay
At Baileys.... Less than $20.

I think they have a special right now. Free shipping and $10 off your next order? (Have to spend $50 and may have to sign up for emails from them?? Not sure?).

But it has several pockets and seems built well.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=278&item=979 $15 by itself,$18 w/ quick release nylon belt. I ordered this also. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=278&item=1148

Plus the small & large Husqvarna timber tongs.Free shipping for orders $100 & over.Everything was much cheaper than the complete Husqvarna tool belt,which had at least 1 item I didnt need or would use.

thanks guys

When I "go some place" to cut wood I take 2 saws and a spare chain or each saw. I'd hate to get there and on the first cut catch a rock or a nail in a tree and be done before I get started good.
My away from the place wood cutting kit includes 2 saws, spare chains for each, gas, oil, 4 wedges, sledge, axe, maul, 50' rope, chain, come -a- long, long pry bar, files, chainsaw tools, water, first aid kit, cellphone and maybe a snack.

When I "go some place" to cut wood I take 2 saws and a spare chain or each saw. I'd hate to get there and on the first cut catch a rock or a nail in a tree and be done before I get started good.
My away from the place wood cutting kit includes 2 saws, spare chains for each, gas, oil, 4 wedges, sledge, axe, maul, 50' rope, chain, come -a- long, long pry bar, files, chainsaw tools, water, first aid kit, cellphone and maybe a snack.

What he said, though I take more food. And beer... gott'a have beer. Usually one or two for the finale.

Reactions: fox9988 and ScotO
Sometimes I can get it right away by luck, other times I'm messing with it for what seems like forever!

There's definately an art to getting the "loop" out of one. I get them straightened out thru trial and error...never really took the time to figure out what works...

If you have a trick I'm all ears.

For the one feller that just has one chain, have you never broken a chain before? The last thing I need is to end a day early just because of something like a chain coming apart. I have 5 or 6 chains sharp and ready to go. When the one I'm using gets dull I swap out. Sharpen them at home.

I keep sharp blades in wrapped up in newspaper. I line the bottom of the chainsaw box with newspaper too, just to absorb the bar oil that inevitably leaks out. Dull blades just go loose in the bottom.

Sometimes I can get it right away by luck, other times I'm messing with it for what seems like forever!

For the one feller that just has one chain, have you never broken a chain before? The last thing I need is to end a day early just because of something like a chain coming apart. I have 5 or 6 chains sharp and ready to go. When the one I'm using gets dull I swap out. Sharpen them at home.
I wrote a post about this a long time ago. A twisted chain can be a real puzzle, after years of doing the puzzle it gets easier (someone recommended laying it on a table or the floor and that seems to help).. I find leaving the chains hanging from a nail in the wall makes it a whole lot easier as they are always straight.

Heh... before reading the responses, I was going to suggest you carry tow straps instead of chains. Way lighter.

'guess I had the wrong kind of "chain" in mind. Sort of explains why the chain I buy never came in a box.

Saw chains: I carry two or three (our four) saws with me when I go out to cut, so while I always throw some spare chains in the truck, I've never actually had to change a chain away from home. Smoke a chain, swaps saws, worry about it when I get home.

same here joful -

when i'm cutting i hate to lose any time. i just grab a spare saw and try to keep on working. i also bring files in case i ding up both chains. maybe i'll think about bring a spare chain instead.

I keep two spare chains in a tupperware container with a snap on lid. Works well for me, and I keep a sharpie in there so I can mark the tooth I start on when filing in the field. Keeps the chains clean and less tangled.

This is a GREAT post !!!!!!! Thats about what I bring too !

I picked this trick up from my line of work. If you know a firefighter see if you can get a decent lenght of some old fire hose. Cut the hose with a sharp knife to your desire length. Use duct tape or my favorite, Gorrilla Tape to seal one end. Now drop your chain into the hose for safe keeping. Fire hose is rubber lined to protect the chain and flexible enough to manipulate into a saw box or tool box. You can write on the hose with a paint pen or sharpie marker if needed to identify what chain is inside.

I picked this trick up from my line of work. If you know a firefighter see if you can get a decent lenght of some old fire hose. Cut the hose with a sharp knife to your desire length. Use duct tape or my favorite, Gorrilla Tape to seal one end. Now drop your chain into the hose for safe keeping. Fire hose is rubber lined to protect the chain and flexible enough to manipulate into a saw box or tool box. You can write on the hose with a paint pen or sharpie marker if needed to identify what chain is inside.

Hmmm . . . that's a good idea . . . and I happen to know a firefighter who has access to old fire hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.