Carrying Saws on a Farm Tractor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dill

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Northwood NH
Anyone got a good way? I jam them on the floorboards with the bar facing back, but it really doesn't work. In fact my rancher fell out yesterday and I almost ran it over. I've tried the bucket but I've seen them bounce out there also.
So any good solutions?

Dill said:
Anyone got a good way? I jam them on the floorboards with the bar facing back, but it really doesn't work. In fact my rancher fell out yesterday and I almost ran it over. I've tried the bucket but I've seen them bounce out there also.
So any good solutions?
the landscapers around here fasin a Chain Saw Bar Guards vertal and silde the saw in it

If you be a poor man like me, a bungee will fasten it nicely to many places including keeping it in the bucket.

I've been carrying my saw with guard on the 3PH for 15 years with no problem but a couple of weeks ago the trigger got jacked up somehow.

Also I carry it a bucket but that becomes a hassle cause when I drag a tree to the staging area I have to take the saw out of the bucket to pile the tree up. Also I fabricated a field expedient 3PH slid on/slide off tool holding tray that holds extra length logging chain, tools, chainsaw,gas, oil etc. I can put on/take off in 15 seconds but when I'm cutting and hauling logs even that easy fix becomes a hassle. For the last couple of weeks harvesting dead trees I carry all the gear in the 3PH tray then just drop it off in a central location and proceed with saw only in the bucket.

btw I have a horizontal draw bar that attaches to the lifting bars of the 3PH that helps secure the saw...I'll probably go back to carrying my saw that cause it was so sweet....just a little skittish about jacking it up again.

I just bungee the saws and other gear to the carry-all on the rear. Or on top of the wood on the way back. It would be nice to have a rack or something on the roll-over bar.

I carry my saw, tools, bar oil and fuel in the bucket of my loader on my JD955. I slow down when I am carrying equipment/tools in it, as that reduces the bouncing and the risk of the saw bouncing out of the bucket. Then again, I am usually only moving the stuff less than a half mile around my property, so it's not a long trip. I also have Turf tires on my JD, not R1s.

I carry mine in the bucket,still not the best but I have yet to find a better way

I have some steep hills, and my skid road is brand new so I'm boucing over this years stumps also. So I'm not to big on the bucket.
So far I don't have a carry all for the 3pth that might not be a bad idea. Right now if its little stuff I'll take a trailer out, but its tight in the woods and a pain to turn around so often I just skid the log out and pille the small stuff in the bucket. Sounds like the right solution here could make some money for the inventor.

See, your problem is you're using a tractor! If you were using a wheelbarrow like me, you wouldn't have to worry about the saw bouncing out! ;)

Oh, to have a tractor... :(

A fool proof way to carry your saws!!!!! If you have a bucket loader on your tractor or any vertical surface, take a three foot piece of 5 inch rubber large diameter hose and mount vertically at the top. Then cut a horizontal slit in it a foot and a half down, wide enough to slide the chain bar into it. Your saw will be vertical with the bar pointing down. It won't come out even over the roughest of trails. The Large diameter hose can be gotten from any Fire Dept supplier in your area. Any brand will do, Angus, Snaptite, or Mercedes textiles. This truly is a neat way to hang your expensive saws in a safe manner. If you want you can secure a lightweight chain around the bottom of the LDH hose to provide more stability. We have been using this for 2+ years now.

That sounds like a perfect solution.Can't wait to try it

We just used a scrap piece of metal and two bolts to hold and clamp the LDH hose at the top.

I've seen a couple pictures of setups where the person made a saw scabard out of plywood and 1" stock and mounted it vertically on a convenient surface... The picture I saw was on a Kubota, and he attached it to the engine cover just ahead of the operator seat... I suspect anyplace that isn't going to be infringed by moving parts would do as well - perhaps the inside of the fenders?

If it was mine, I'd probably also put a bungie cord over the top of the saw, not so much to keep it from falling out, but just to keep it from bouncing excessively.

Gooserider

I've seen the a similar scaboard made of wood clamped to the roll bar. I just carry mine in the bucket or I use a bungie cord if I'm on a 4-wheeler.

The only problem with the carrying in the bucket approach that I've seen is that I've seen an amazingly large number of posts from users who confess to having forgotten the saw was in the bucket when they went to pick something up.... :red: :sick:

Another issue I could see for some, depending on how you do things, is what happens if you've filled the bucket up with cut peices or other such...

Gooserider

WOW I was just thinking about this last weekend as I was driving my tractor with one hand and holding the saw on the fender with the other.I decided to take a piece of PVC 3 or 4" schedule 40 about 24" long and strap it to the back of the rops down low and just slip the saw down in and the PVC wont dull the chain.I have not tried it yet.

Gooserider said:
The only problem with the carrying in the bucket approach that I've seen is that I've seen an amazingly large number of posts from users who confess to having forgotten the saw was in the bucket when they went to pick something up.... :red: :sick:

Another issue I could see for some, depending on how you do things, is what happens if you've filled the bucket up with cut peices or other such...

Gooserider

Well I've done some dumb things with both the tractor and my saws but that's one I haven't. I do most of my felling , bucking close to home,(within a mile or two) and all of my splitting at home. When I harvest wood the bucket is my toolbox carrying saws, toolbox, cant hook, chains and cables, gas and oil, cooler and/or thermas. I will tow my 5x8 trailer behind the tractor and load bucked wood manually and use the loader to put the big rounds in the trailer. Now if I have help the truck and a larger trailer will be close by.

Tractorbynet.com. do a search for chainsaw scabbards, there must be a hundred different ideas. bucket carrying is a BAD idea, especially if you tend a fire with your bucket............. :bug:

I've forgotten a sledge and bow saw were in the bucket and noticed them sticking out of a pile of just-moved gravel. The sledge was fine, but I haven't found a 30 inch bow saw that compares.
I've had stuff bounce out of the bucket, too.

I've seen a few 3-point weight boxes that guys have built and modified to hold things securely.

I've had stuff bounce out of the FEL bucket, too.
Forward speed on a 2520 is either too slow or too fast. :)

I saw an awesome setup a guy built out of a 3point carry-all. It had a big box which could be loaded with your rounds, Swinging doors that you would close so your wood don't fall out. But the best was outside of the box on the front (between the rear of the tractor and the front of the carry-all) he had a "shelf" for gas can, one for toolbox, a scabbard built in as described earlier, and a box with a hook above to hang a chain on the hook and put the rest of the chain in the box just below. I wish I could find the website again as there were several good pictures. I've had this on my mind ever since I saw it. It's only a matter of time before I give in and just build one. LOL
For now, I just tuck my saw in the wagon or in the bucket stacked in with the wood. Rarely have a problem doing this. Admittedly not the ideal way to haul it.

I have a garden tractor with a 3 point. I mounted a plastic milk crate on top of the 3 point and sliced a slit in the lower side to pass the saw blade through. Its not the prettiest attachment but it works. I always thought of mounting a rack on the front, over the hood for carrying items.

Attachments

• 3 point crate.jpg
    3 point crate.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 386
Bungee to any straight stationary object. You could get clever and fab up a scabbard/bracket and tack it to the side of the roll bar and if you put holes on either side of the pwerhead end you could put a bungee around and through the handle.

edit: Whoa, 2 year old threadbump! Safe to assume the op has resolved this by now.

I should have done something in the last 3 years about this. I just ran over the rancher the other day. Turned the bar and chain into a pretzel. Stopped just shy of the powerhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.