Cars? sedans.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow

Minister of Fire
Jun 4, 2008
northern-half of maine
looking at 4 door sedans. mid sized. mid $20's or less(quite frankly I'm pushing for mid $30's, not my decision.). Demo'd quite a few the other day. been a long time since I've been in one to drive. 10 plus yrs. demo'd honda,volvo,gm,hyundia,toyota. Didn't like the looks of a ford, but thats just us. Seriously disappointed in the ride of all, except Toyota.

Like the 4 cylinder Camray. Wife liked the Corolla. Any thoughts? mainly 2012/13's

I really like the ride of my Honda Accord . . . but it's a coupe and a 2003 . . . not sure if that makes a difference.

Did you try a Nissan Maxima or Altima?

Buckboard, huh? Exactly how plush a ride is this tractor trailer of yours? ;) :)

Test drive a Mercedes C class - 12/13 used C250 prolly in the high 20's/low 30's price range. Prolly able to get a C250 4matic (AWD) for that price range depending on year.

Toyotas ride very soft... Not my thing personally but everyone's preference is unique. Most everything else is gonna feel stiff by that yardstick.

This is very open ended.... What's important to you - fuel economy, performance, handling, comfort, reliability? Do you have a preference between FWD, RWD, AWD? Manual or auto?

I really like the ride of my Honda Accord . . . but it's a coupe and a 2003 . . . not sure if that makes a difference.

Did you try a Nissan Maxima or Altima?

Buckboard, huh? Exactly how plush a ride is this tractor trailer of yours? ;) :)

Rides quite well. Should for 140k:cool:

Reactions: firefighterjake
Rides quite well. Should for 140k:cool:

Hmmm . . . that's a bit more than what I paid for my Accord. ;)

I was thinking . . . you might try looking at the Subaru Legacys . . . pricing pretty well and the advantage of AWD . . . not that you would ever need it up your way. ;)

Toyotas ride very soft... Not my thing personally but everyone's preference is unique. Most everything else is gonna feel stiff by that yardstick.

This is very open ended.... What's important to you - fuel economy, performance, handling, comfort, reliability? Do you have a preference between FWD, RWD, AWD? Manual or auto?

We want a basic 4 door. we've been talking and pretty much have decided on a Camary 4 cylinder.

Between all the Japanese mid size family sedans (Camry, Accord, Altima, Mazda6), the Camry is the oldest design and tends to place last in automotive press comparisons. You'd be well served to test drive all 4 before deciding.

Disclaimer I'm a long time Honda guy and seriously looking at Accord v6.

Hmmm . . . that's a bit more than what I paid for my Accord. ;)

I was thinking . . . you might try looking at the Subaru Legacys . . . pricing pretty well and the advantage of AWD . . . not that you would ever need it up your way. ;)

+1 if I lived in northern Maine Subaru would be on my short list.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
the subaru is not something we are interested in. We did test drive the cars that had been listed here. We keep coming back to the Camry. We'll see how this works out. Just a big change going from minivans back to a sedan.

If you're OK with 2WD, the Camry is proven and affordable. Nothing wrong with that.

My wife has a Subaru Legacy that is the bomb. We have had 4 Subies, and I see no reason to look anywhere else.

Reactions: flyingcow
This is 99% of my wife's decision. I won't be in it very often. I have a crew Cab 8ft 3500 series D-Max as my ride.

We've had good luck with front wheel drive in the winter. Studded all around.

I mentioned Subaru but she didn't seem interested.

20 years trouble free driving with 1994 Toyota Camry LE V6 that my wife bought new before we were married.
200,000+ miles on it. Always garaged, nearly rust free, pretty good for Michigan winters.
I change the oil every 3-4000 miles. Has only needed normal wear and tear maintained like brakes, timing belt with water pump.
Love it, would buy another one if I could find one(or Lexus 300 version) with relatively low miles.
I don't think you will go wrong with a Toyota or Honda.
Personally I love the new looks of the Chevy Cruze.

Reactions: flyingcow
You won't go wrong with a Camry. Personally I don't care for the soft ride that Toyotas have, but to each his own. My personal pick out of front wheel drive sedans would be a Nissan Altima or Maxima, both are seriously fun cars with that 3.5! Haven't driven a new Accord but I always liked those as well. I like the direction Ford is going, but I don't know if I'm ready to get another one although I came real close to getting a Mazda last year. I stay away from GM and Chrysler like the plague.

Go drive the BMW 320i xdrive. It's the best car in it's class if you are willing to go into the mid 30's. It's get great gas mileage, quick, handles well, and it's great in the snow. Plus free everything for 4 years.

Go drive the BMW 320i xdrive. It's the best car in it's class if you are willing to go into the mid 30's. It's get great gas mileage, quick, handles well, and it's great in the snow. Plus free everything for 4 years.

Have they fixed those failing high pressure fuel pumps that where stranding people on the side of the road left and right?

Those issues were on the 335i with the n54 engine. That was fixed but this is a totally different animal than that car, just the same series.

Don't get the Corolla. They are buzzy when you step on the gas and have a rougher ride with its shorter wheelbase. The Camry offers a big cushy ride, a quiet cabin and competitive pricing. If that's what you like best, go for it.

Here's my .02$...Steer clear of anything American and don't feel guilty about it. I'm not a fan of VW, Mercedes or BMW. They don't deserve there price or reputation. Stick with Japanese cars. They know how to build them. They may not have the best ride or latest flashy features, but they use whats known to work and are reliable as hell. I would rank them as follows 1) Toyota/Honda, 2) Nissan and Subaru. Nissan and Subaru are good vehicles but there just not of the caliber of a Toyota or Honda when it comes to reliability. That said I would put them miles ahead on reliability amongst any of the other brands mentioned. I just gave away my 2000 accord with 180k on it to a friend that was in need of a car. I'm willing to bet that car still has good 100k left in it. Those 180k miles were some rough hard miles and the car never gave me any real issues. Do your self a favor and pay $30 for consumer reports on line edition. It will tell give you the track record of various cars over a ten year period. It will show you trouble spots and things to avoid. I have the misfortune of selling cars for a living. Have been selling Nissan's and Hyundai for almost three years and deal with this stuff on a daily basis. Japanese cars hold there value and are good bet for the long run. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
IMHO the Camry is the most boring car on the road. I would personally get a honda accord over a Camry any day. Even better, a VW passat offers a far superior handling car at similar cost.

Or if you are thinking pre owned get a low mileage certified BMW 328xi 2011, comes with 100k warranty and .9 financing.

Reactions: webbie
Don't get the Corolla. They are buzzy when you step on the gas and have a rougher ride with its shorter wheelbase. The Camry offers a big cushy ride, a quiet cabin and competitive pricing. If that's what you like best, go for it.

That depends on whether you want economy or overall lower road noise not to mention higher price. If it's a daily commuter the Corolla is still an excellent choice and has one of the lowest costs of ownership.

The ride depends a lot on the tires. The stock Corolla tires are terrible.

IMHO the Camry is the most boring car on the road. I would personally get a honda accord over a Camry any day. Even better, a VW passat offers a far superior handling car at similar cost.

Or if you are thinking pre owned get a low mileage certified BMW 328xi 2011, comes with 100k warranty and .9 financing.

The long term reliability of the BMW or the Passat leaves a lot to be desired though.

Reactions: Treacherous
Status
Not open for further replies.