Casement vs. Double Hung Windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
what are the pros and cons of each?
I imagine the casements are more energy efficient, but have no idea of the facts.

Double hung are harder to seal well. Casements have a continuous gasket that should make a tight seal if the design is good. But casements need room to swing out or up. We had to put double-hung on the window facing our porch for this reason.

It depends on how much use they get. Our 30 yr old cranks are starting to wear out on our most frequently used Pella windows. They'll be needing replacement this summer on a couple windows.

Dry spray lube works wonders on casements.

what are the pros and cons of each?
I imagine the casements are more energy efficient, but have no idea of the facts.
I have actually worked at multiple window factories in the past, Anderson windows, Weathershield, and Jeld-wen. All windows and window manufacturers make their windows differently. In my personal opinion jeld-wen are much better made, we used more silicon around the glass to create a water and air tight seal as opposed to weathershield it was only in the corners. So back to your question. Casement cranks do wear out after time, can't fit a window ac in one if needed, and take longer to open because you have to crank it open. Double hung are easy to slide open, can pull the window out to for easy cleaning, and can fit a window ac in one if needed.

Reactions: velvetfoot
one other thing. Windows have efficiency rating on them. Look for windows that have low-e glass that are filled with argon gas because they are more efficient.

As a contractor and handyman I've replaced more casement crank mechanisms than anything on a double hung. Double hungs usually fail at the lock.

I always feel dirty when i say "Double Hung"..............

Reactions: TreePapa
They can be replaced independently of the entire window?

Yes, easily, in about 5 min per a window.

You can get energy efficiency out of either one, really a preference of what you want. Like BG said, you need room for casements to crank out, they don't work well near walk ways, or decks. The biggest down side I've seen over the years to casements are that they rot out on the bottom because it never got painted / sealed (I'm talking about the area you can see if you open the window all the way and look back at the bottom part) and if you leave them open during a rain they make a big mess as the protruding window frame will deflect water toward the screen / interior.

As a contractor, I have see no real flaws to either design, but I'd put double hungs in my house for many of the reasons Wisneaky mentioned.

Reactions: velvetfoot
one other thing. Windows have efficiency rating on them. Look for windows that have low-e glass that are filled with argon gas because they are more efficient.
How long does the argon gas stay in there before it permeates and leaks out?

How long does the argon gas stay in there before it permeates and leaks out?
They loose about 5% every 10 years and that loss doesn't really affect the u value of the windows. So unless a seal in between the two panes of glass fails you should be good for a long time.

Have they improved the seals? When we bought our last set of windows one report I read said the failure rate was fairly high due to constant expansion and contraction of the glass. This was reported not untypical on unshaded south and west facing windows.

Last edited:
Have they improved the seals? When we bought our last set of windows one report I read said the failure rate was fairly high due to constant expansion and contraction of the glass.
When I worked for those companies we made thousands of windows a week and the hardly any came back for glass failure. Most returns were for leakage between the glass and sash where the silicone is. At weathershield my job was to make the replacements for warranty.

Prior to last year I was a double-hung window guy; last year I bought a house that is all casement windows.

Casement Pro's:
- Nice weather seal
- Some advantages at directing air flow into the house vs. double-hung windows. Because the casement window sticks out from the surface of the house wall, it, in effect it can disrupt\direct the air flow along the outer wall into the house - sort of like those triangular windows in older cars (original VW Bug).

Casement Cons:
- Window air conditioners - Casement variety air conditioners are 2x the cost of regular air conditioners and once you have one, fitting it in place is not a simple 5-minute task.
- Pets who chase bugs - AKA my screens are inside facing - all the time. If you have the window open in evening bugs accumulate against the screen due to interior light glow. Now you close the window and the bugs are now locked between the casement window and the screen, never to escape. Queue your cats who hear that slight buzzing noise and start climbing\jumping onto the screens, causing holes, tears, etc. It's been a trying experience.

Regards,
Gpsfool

It's an article by someone it happened to, I'd like to see more hard proof of others having failures with them. Each manufacture doesn't use the same glass either. Best bet is to really check out each window companies windows and inspect them real good before purchasing and installing them.
What do you think about Harvey windows.

I honestly can't comment on them. I've never seen, built, or owned that brand. Your best bet is to see if they have a showroom and ask them why they think their windows are good and see what kind of answers they give you.

Yes good advice. I asked questions of the window salespersons, but didn't get very informed answers about sealing. We were replacing a french door on the south side of the house with failed seals and I didn't want to repeat the experience. The problem does seem to still show up with some frequency, especially with vinyl windows, but hopefully the best window companies have improved the seals enough to be reliable long term.

http://www.nachi.org/condensation-double-paned-windows.htm

One thing I have appreciated in the past with Anderson windows is that they stock parts for very old windows they manufactured long ago. Casements do need occasion shots of lithium grease on the slides. Makes a big difference in how much stress is on the slide mechanism.

Yes good advice. I asked questions of the window salespersons, but didn't get very informed answers about sealing. We were replacing a french door on the south side of the house with failed seals and I didn't want to repeat the experience. The problem does seem to still show up with some frequency, especially with vinyl windows, but hopefully the best window companies have improved the seals enough to be reliable long term.

I actually just installed new Weathershield vinyl windows in my house this last summer. I wanted to try them. If they don't last I'll go back to metal exterior ones.

That comes right back into the "movement" that will cause seals to fail. Doors take a beating, as things age, they become less durable. Doors will nearly always fail before their window counterparts. I always caution home owners when we need to remove and re-install a window, especially a fixed or picture window, to do repair work that the seals may fail after we're done and gone due to the movement. I would say if the unit is 20+ years old, it has a 25% chance of breaking the seal by being taken out and re-installed.

I personally like them. I've been working with them for over 15 years and have yet to have a call back for a seal failure. Their majesty casement line is beefy, comes built to any size, and generally is a great product. Having worked with them for so long though, like anything else, there are fluctuations in quality, most are good, but you get the occasional sloppy mull or less than flush corners. The one thing I do question on them, because they're all custom made, they have screws penetrating the aluminum frames, when installed properly they're under the flashing or drip cap, but it just seems like a potential weak spot.
As for their vinyl replacements, I think they're the best around. I've tried Anderson Silverline, Mathews, Pella, etc... Unfortunately Andersen has really started to dip in quality to the point where I won't buy them anymore (any of their products, if I can help it) I've made a definitive switch over to Harvey and Marvin (Integrity) products. I do like Pella as well, but they're just so hard to order since you need a dedicated outside salesperson to deal with (I'm not talking about the ones available at the box stores) and you have to be present when their truck arrives, etc... they're frames are a little flimsy too (only 3/4" stock, vs. 8/4 on Harvey) Pella's also have the questionable screws in the frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.