Casement vs. Double Hung Windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harvey is the only vinyl window I will use, I turn down a job if they want something different simply because I have never had a window failure and don't want to test my contractors liability insurance.

Full disclosure, I'm not a huge fan of casements..... but have you considered architectural style in this decision?

For new construction it may not matter as most contemporary homes I see go up are a mishmashes with no discernible style, but if you are renovating and older house there are particular window styles that fit particular architectures. Casement are appropriate on Mid-Century Modern, Ranch, Prarie, Tudor, English cottage style, etc. Double or single hung is more appropriate on everything else, including a lot of Victorian styles, Craftsman and especially on Colonial Revival and all the Early American period (Georgian Colonial, Saltbox, Cape, Federal, Greek revival and so forth).

Along the way somebody put 3 single pane casements on the back addition of my place and they just look so obviously out of place among all the other divided light double hungs Ive wanted to rip them out since hte day we bought it.

Another point in favor of the double hung that gets forgotten in this age of 24/7/365 mechanical climate control: In the summer you can open the top sash of upper floor double hungs and the bottom sash of lower floor windows and use the stack effect to advantage to create natural ventilation. Possible, but not as effective with casements.

I was originally thinking from an energy loss and functional perspective, but yes, looks are important, hence the fake grids to simulate panes in double hung windows.

Casements can catch a little bit more of a breeze when fully open
double hungs you can leave the upper sash open (and in some cases locked open) in the rain

If you lock yourself out of the house an unlocked but closed double hung might provide a way in :)

I hate casements. HATE them. And both our Old House (1st house) and the Cottage had/have them. We got rid of them at the Old House, not sure about at the Cottage ($$). I'd prefer even the sliders (kind of like a double hung on it's side) over the casements, since ours are stupid and only one window opens (the other is fixed) anyway so the only "benefit" (more air/open space) is negated. I hate how they open out like wings and get in the way and look stupid. I hate how the handle sticks out inside of the house. I HATE them. I get you're supposed to get more air, but there's nothing else good about them.

Please tell us what has changed?

How they are manufactured.
The older style have an aluminum seal/spacer between the panes of glass. This conducts rather than insulates.
The argon gas process is better, from what I have been told.

I have casement windows and did a bunch of research before looking into replacements. I have absolutely zero industry experience and am no expert at all. Just posting what I have read from people who know way more then I.

I hate casements. HATE them. And both our Old House (1st house) and the Cottage had/have them. We got rid of them at the Old House, not sure about at the Cottage ($$). I'd prefer even the sliders (kind of like a double hung on it's side) over the casements, since ours are stupid and only one window opens (the other is fixed) anyway so the only "benefit" (more air/open space) is negated. I hate how they open out like wings and get in the way and look stupid. I hate how the handle sticks out inside of the house. I HATE them. I get you're supposed to get more air, but there's nothing else good about them.
That's what they are double hungs on their side.

Reactions: dznam
How they are manufactured.
The older style have an aluminum seal/spacer between the panes of glass. This conducts rather than insulates.
The argon gas process is better, from what I have been told.

I have casement windows and did a bunch of research before looking into replacements. I have absolutely zero industry experience and am no expert at all. Just posting what I have read from people who know way more then I.
The glass may be made differently, but the window frame and sash are still the same designs. Casements have a bad rap because cranks go bad, the arms that hold the sash in can fail and standard window air conditioners don't fit. Some people like them though. I only care that my windows open, close, keep the cold out during the winter, and keep me cool in the summer.

I think choice and suitability of double-hung vs casement is very dependent on house style and energy-efficiency intentions. In order of tightness with respect to air leakage, the best window is fixed, non-operable. Most windows in a house don't need to open at all, if the house is designed properly (fin a cold climate), so those can be fixed glass. Next are casements, which seal against a good seal all around. Whether opening one, and its projecting out into the outside (potentially into a deck or porch area, is problematic, is purely a matter of house layout and what looks nice for the house style. Worst, in terms of air leakage are any windows that slide over a seal of some sort. Double-hungs are just patio doors turned sideways. But in a non-severe climate house, a double-hung may simply look right, style-wise, with no big energy impact.

For my house, superinsulated in climate zone 6 (central NH), the house style is quite compatible with casements. I have some fixed-glass, non-operable windows, and the rest are casements. All are triple-paned. Given the climate and the nature of the house, we don't have any windows open at all most of the time. I was more interested in performance than aesthetics, so casements were the right choice for me. That isn't the right choice for every house in every climate zone.

Can you get windows that look like casements but don't open? I have about 15 double casements in my house and I only open about half of them.

Can you get windows that look like casements but don't open?

Sure, I think most window mfg offer them. If it's large enough, you'd call it a "picture window." It wouldn't make sense to change out your unopened casements, of course. But for a new build in a heating climate, some thought ought to be given to whether fixed glass units here and there might make sense and look good.

Yes. In this picture the center window doesn't open. the side windows are casements. The side windows look a little darker because they have screens on them.

IMG_2033web.jpg

One thing I have appreciated in the past with Anderson windows is that they stock parts for very old windows they manufactured long ago. Casements do need occasion shots of lithium grease on the slides. Makes a big difference in how much stress is on the slide mechanism.

what brand of grease?

what brand of grease?
Standard white lithium grease, any car part store sells it. The spray on stuff is bit too messy. I think the brand I used is Lubriplate

Last edited:
What sold my wife and me on casements was no frame cross members obstructing the view out the windows. We have 18 - 5 foot high casements, most 2 feet wide, looking out every side of our house, plus three large picture windows, also 5 feet high. Now 20+ years old, these windows are of new construction type which replaced all of the prior windows in our house plus added a few more. We live off a lake and are fully wooded otherwise, and it's like living in the midst of nature. Here is a view of the sunset last evening.

12233402_1029397450436256_1566328320_n.jpg

Also need to add the windows remain draft free, no air leaks that are noticeable, to the point that with howling NW winter winds and -30F outside temp, you can sit right by a 14' expanse of casements plus picture windows with the glass warm to the touch on the inside, frost and condensation free.

Also need to add the windows remain draft free, no air leaks that are noticeable, to the point that with howling NW winter winds and -30F outside temp, you can sit right by a 14' expanse of casements plus picture windows with the glass warm to the touch on the inside, frost and condensation free.
For the same size, casements let twice as much air in. One half of a double hung is always covered.

i used to have double hung in an old house, not have almost all wood pella casement. I cant stand them.

The windows are from the late 90's, some of the wood has dry rotted out, it was never preserved right. I have since water proofed them all. The "screen on the inside" is a big deal. I use a whole house fan, and have lights, novel concept, so bugs end up on the screen. That's not inside when I close the window. I do not have cats, but it is annoying listening to moths flap against the screen, and gross seeing the pile of dead bugs inside. Also you will not get a window AC or window fan in. I have heard many are more susceptible to buglers getting in too.

If I had money to burn I would rip them out and put in double hung windows. Its a personal preference, but they disappoint me every time I open one.

Variety is the spice of life. Very pleased you like your double hung windows. We greatly enjoy our casements which indeed are draft free, both from air leakage around the sash and from the lack of a cold air wash down the glass. Maybe we were lucky in choosing a high quality window. This discussion moved me to wash the outsides of all the windows. These windows are the only windows I've ever had in a house that I actually enjoyed washing -- the view over winter will be enjoyed every day.

My dad slowly replaced all the double hungs in his house with casements. The first ones he bought weren't that great. Cold. Hardware problems. Finger joints that fell apart. A couple of them rotted. He has passed so I've replaced most of them for mom. Hopefully with better ones. My sister has them in her house. Real tall ones. The ones in the living room she doesn't open because if you do you have to get a ladder and go outside to push on them to close them far enough so the locks line up.

I'd rather have double hungs despite all the advantages to casements.
One isn't better than the other, just personal preference.
Traditional.

With either it seems you get what you pay for.
Like many other things in life.

The windows are from the late 90's, some of the wood has dry rotted out, it was never preserved right.

This is the biggest thing I hate about modern windows - the materials they are made out of is garbage.

No amount of preservatives will make up for hte fact that new growth wood just wont last like the old growth wood that was available to make windows out of 80 years, 100 years ago and before. Add in stapled construction, lower quality paint and plastic hardware and you have a recipe for early replacement.

I know you guys will flame me but I love working on my old windows, even the "newest" 1930s sash.

• Old growth wood that doesn't rot out (we actually leave the perimeter unsealed and unpainted on purpose, so if moisture gets in they dry out).
  • Mortise and tenon joinery that wont separate when the glue gets old like finger jointing.
  • All metal hardware that last forever and is easily replaceable with generic parts found at any good old time hardware co (sash locks, pullys, rope).
  • real linseed oil glazing seems to last longer (~ 30 years give or take) than the seals on many lower quality double panes . And when it does fail replacement is a DIY job that will buy you another 30 years of window life... not a window replacement
  • Upgraded with spring bronze weatherstrip they are surprisingly airtight... and the bronze will probably last a hundred years. Cant get that life out of any foam weatherstip

Okay so this is based on the knowledge I have about these two types after a recent home renovation. For houses that have patios or porches, i.e where you are giving priority to airflow double hung windows are a good choice. We used this for the window opening to the backyard garden. The biggest advantage of this one is that you can adjust the ventilation.
Casement windows I think are the most popular type of windows. Because they are easy to operate and energy efficient these are commonly used in residential buildings. And they provide good ventilation also. If you ask me an opinion among these two, I would definitely vote for casement windows. You can go through these articles for more details on casement and double hung windows
http://canglow.ca/benefits-of-casement-windows/
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/the-benefits-of-double-hung-windows

opening casement windows after splitting and stacking firewood is hard work, and when my arms are tired, I like to just drop the window down!

I such an assortment of windows in my house, but I prefer double hung. in areas that you aren't really planning on walking around, I don't mind casements, like off of our bay window, but for the front of the house, we just went with big slider windows.... or just a hole in the house :)

20160607_201138.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.