"Cash for Caulkers" to include biomass appliances!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
The Senate Energy Committee posted the draft discussion text of the Cash for Caulker bill and it contains wood and pellet stoves, boilers and furnaces. They will be eligible for a $1,000 rebate as long as a number of efficiency, emission and other requirements are met. Our group, Alliance for Green Heat, worked with the Technical Committee that was providing the language to Congress, and we have lots more info about it on our website: http://www.forgreenheat.org/incentives/homestarpage.html.

If you want to get regular updates about this program as it unfolds, you can sign up for them here: http://www.forgreenheat.org/media/email.html.

Here is the language on biomass appliances excerpted in the draft Home Star bill:

Section 5. Silver Star Home Energy Retrofit Program

A rebate shall be awarded for the energy retrofit of a home for the installation of energy savings measures ... [if its] ... installed in the home by a qualified contractor; and
carried out in compliance with this section.

Heating system replacement of …

(v) a wood or wood pellet furnace, boiler, or stove, if—
(I) the new system is the primary heating system in a home that— [this clause is expected to be deleted].
(aa) meets at least 75 percent of the heating demands of the home;
(bb) has a distribution system (such as ducts or vents) that allows heat to reach all or most parts of the home; and
(cc) in the case of a wood stove, replaces an existing wood stove; and (II) a third party certifies that the
new system— (aa) has thermal efficiency (with
a lower heating value) of at least 75 percent for stoves and 80 percent for furnaces and boilers; and
(bb) has particulate emissions of less than 4.5 grams per hour for stoves.
INSTALLATION COSTS.—Measures … shall include expenditures for labor and other installation-related costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the component.

(d) AMOUNT OF REBATE.—
the amount of a rebate provided to the owner of a home or designee under this section shall be $1,000 per measure for the installation of energy savings measures described in subsection (b)

Now that may be good news for the alternative heating industry. I'm guessing this won't be until 2011 so consumers won't be able to double dip along with the biomass tax credit.

I guess with Pinnacle Biomass systems would qualify as they stand right now. Their brochures state 80% efficiency and they did qualify for the current biomass rebate by exceeding the 75% efficiency mark using the lower heat value. I will forward this to the folks in charge at Pinnacle and see what they say about these numbers.

which stoves would currently meet the 75% lower heating value? I want a Fireview but it is listed at 72% (the grams/hr is covered). Is the 75% lower heating value different from what is currently listed? Thanks.

Im GUESSING that for wood stoves, any stove that qualified for the current biomass tax credit via efficiency and meets the grams per hour would also qualify for this. It appears that the manufacturers may need to go thru a new round of testing by a third party lab. Or maybe they can go by existing numbers.

That's a great bill except for this part:

John Ackerly said:
... [if its] ... installed in the home by a qualified contractor

What about the DIY'ers?

Thats less than the biomass credit. You would think they would make it more and who cares who installs it as long as it is inspected afterwords.

cycloxer said:
That's a great bill except for this part:

John Ackerly said:
... [if its] ... installed in the home by a qualified contractor

What about the DIY'ers?

I think one of the intents of the bill is to get contractors working again thru this.

woodsmaster said:
Thats less than the biomass credit. You would think they would make it more and who cares who installs it as long as it is inspected afterwords.
Guess I should have read the link before posting. that would be great If they allow us to have the 1,000.00 and the 30% !! Still need something for the do it yourself guys.

ChillyGator said:
which stoves would currently meet the 75% lower heating value? I want a Fireview but it is listed at 72% (the grams/hr is covered). Is the 75% lower heating value different from what is currently listed? Thanks.

Don't worry, the Fireview's lhv efficiency is 91%. 72% is the old EPA default.

Todd said:
ChillyGator said:

Don't worry, the Fireview's lhv efficiency is 91%. 72% is the old EPA default.

Thanks

Peter SWNH said:
I think one of the intents of the bill is to get contractors working again thru this.

Definitely. If you're self-employed you could hire yourself to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.