Cast Iron Burn Pot Breckwell P23 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreckP23Newbie

Oct 18, 2008
Brewster NY
Question for the maintenance guru's, I'm in the middle of tuning up my Breckwell P23 and I did all the essentials, Thank You Eric for all the great Info that you posted regarding replacing the gasket and required maintenance as described from your post, YOU ARE THE MAN ! I was wondering if i can touch up my cast iron burn pot with high heat black paint even though it is not showing any signs of rust, as well as the other piece that the burn pot sits in, which is steel that is showing a slight tinge of rust, and of course the inside of my stove and exchange tubes. Thanks To All Who Respond to this Post.

Breckwell P23 Stand Alone Pedestal Model.

Yes, the paint will not last forever but it does make it look a little better. I have painted both cast and stainless burnpots myself for Breckwell Stoves. It will not affect how it burns but be aware it might put off a smell for a little while until the paint cures.

Klinkerfines said:
Yes, the paint will not last forever but it does make it look a little better. I have painted both cast and stainless burnpot myself for Breckwell Stoves. It will not affect how it burns but be aware it might put off a smell for a little wile until the paint cures.

You are correct, Sir.

Thanks for the comment, please exit to the rear of the store by the medicinal fridge for a cold one.

Eric

Hi, I am running the Breckwell P23 for 5 winters. I love it. This
year I am burning Instant Heat. My burnpot is solid ash after about 24
hours. I am shutting it off and empting it on a daily basis now. I have
tried moving the damper in and out. Any suggestions on what I should do? I
have one more ton of Instant Heat. I think it's the pellets. What do you
think? This has never happened to me before so regularly. The other thing I
changed this year was my chimney. I moved it from nearly a straight out of
the house position to going up through my roof. I was getting soot blown
back all over the side of my house. The burnpot issue is new this month so
I don't think it's the chimney. Thanks and Happy New Year.

splash said:

Splash,

It could be the chimney. Please describe it better. How many elbows, total length and size please. You may have exceeded the EVL and lost some air flow.

Have you tried to open the damper? More air may help. Get them pellets to move around and blow some of the ash out of the pot.

But it could also just be the pellets. Easy to go get a few bags of good ones and toss them in.

splash said:

If you are getting soot that blackens the house you have an air/fuel mixture problem. I would check for to much air flow such as a door or ash pan not sealing.

Eric

jtakeman said:
splash said:

Splash,

It could be the chimney. Please describe it better. How many elbows, total length and size please. You may have exceeded the EVL and lost some air flow.

Have you tried to open the damper? More air may help. Get them pellets to move around and blow some of the ash out of the pot.

But it could also just be the pellets. Easy to go get a few bags of good ones and toss them in.

I have a t connected to the stove and then a elbow that conects to the pipe that goes through the house. There must be another elbow outside that connects to the pipes that go up straight up 1 1/2 stories to about 12-18 inches above the roof line.
This is a new chimney this year. (the old chimney came straight out of the house about 3 feet).
I have opened the damper more but it hasn't helped.
I am still burning Instant Heat.
I am still shutting down and cleaning out the burnpot every day.
I guess I'll call the guy who installed the new chimney and see what he thinks. He used a little small (in diameter pipe) than I originally had on the stove. He didn't change the pipes inside just the pipes outside that now go stright up the house.

Any other thoughts? Could it be the pellets? I burned M & M at the beginning of the season and this wasn't happening.

Does anyone have any suggestions for pellets that burn well in a P23 Blackwell? I burned New England Pellets for 2 years and really liked them but after the scam I haven't gone backt ot hem.
Thanks to all for your help!

kinsman stoves said:
splash said:

If you are getting soot that blackens the house you have an air/fuel mixture problem. I would check for to much air flow such as a door or ash pan not sealing.

Eric

I had contact with several "professionals" about the soot on the house. I think I solved it by running the chimney straight up the side of the house and through the overhang. It actually looks much better and i won't bang my head on the chimney when I garden in that spot. I am wondering if I need a new gasket on the door. Do you think that might be causing the problem with the burnpot becoming solid and billing up? Thanks for your help.

splash said:
jtakeman said:
splash said:
year I am burning Instant Heat. My burnp is solid ash after about 24
back all over the side of my house. The burnp issue is new this month so

Splash,

I have a t connected to the stove and then a elbow that conects to the pipe that goes through the house. There must be another elbow outside that connects to the pipes that go up straight up 1 1/2 stories to about 12-18 inches above the roof line.
This is a new chimney this year. (the old chimney came straight out of the house about 3 feet).
I have opened the damper more but it hasn't helped.
I am still burning Instant Heat.
I am still shutting down and cleaning out the burnp every day.
I guess I'll call the guy who installed the new chimney and see what he thinks. He used a little small (in diameter pipe) than I originally had on the stove. He didn't change the pipes inside just the pipes outside that now go stright up the house.

Any other thoughts? Could it be the pellets? I burned M & M at the beginning of the season and this wasn't happening.

Does anyone have any suggestions for pellets that burn well in a P23 Blackwell? I burned New England Pellets for 2 years and really liked them but after the scam I haven't gone backt ot hem.
Thanks to all for your help!

I am an x Breckwell owner and have a friend with the P23-FS. We have found the Turmans are very good in the Breckwells. Very good heat and clean. There is probably a few other brands. just stating my experience's.

Status
Not open for further replies.