Cast Iron Cookware

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use olive oil because I won't have crisco in the house. It is a transfat which I don't use. Any food grade oil will work as long as it doesn't have salt in it; sweet butter is good/ salted butter is bad.

I have heard that olive oil will possibly go bad before standard veggie oil. However, I use the pan so often that it would not be possible to have an issue. Heck- I'm not even sure what the seasoning "going bad" would look like.

Olive oil or veggie oil- both great.

We cook most of our meals in cast iron, not sure what brand but a couple good pans and a set we bought at Tractor Supply on clearance; they all work fine. We make chili and everything else. We don't boil rice or anything though; but I'm pretty sure the pioneers didn't carry extra calphalon cookware so my guess is you can cook just about anything in it with care. Someone told me animal fats season the pans better than vegetable fats, but I don't know if it's true. I did find out a good way to season them is to use them to cook a couple good steaks in the oven at 500 degrees; makes a heck of a smoky mess though!

Adios Pantalones said:
. . . Heck- I'm not even sure what the seasoning "going bad" would look like.

. . .

I believe it shows up at your door step all strung out, a 666 tattoo on the forehead and carrying a nearly empty 1/5th. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.