1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

cast iron... how hot is too hot?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Joful, Jan 25, 2013.

1. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    That stove you have is a beast. I've been watching your posts for some time and it sounds like she gets hot very quickly and throws alot of heat.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firecracker_77

Loc:
    I like that house of yours. The fact that you have 3 woodburning areas is pretty cool.
    jharkin likes this.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I am lucky that it is built like a tank. I am not the kindest person to it.;lol
    But - I have always said that the IR is one of the easiest breathing stoves that I am aware of. Its a 3.0 cuft cast iron stove that was built with one thing in mind. Make heat. It does that pretty darn well. I am also running very good (read dry) wood. All this said...it is also a very controllable stove with one exception. It don't do slow and low very well.::P It likes to cruise at 550-650F.
  4. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    First, this is not an effort to try to answer your question, You have gotten good answers already. Just an interesting part of my past.
    My Uncle heated his shop with a large old pot belly stove. He was a carpenter and had lots of scrap lumber. That is the only thing he ever burned in that old stove, and it always had some part glowing red:ZZZ I thought you were supposed to run them that way !!!
  5. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Dear god, I long for a centrally located chimney in an open layout...
    Joful likes this.
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Amen. The novelty of running multiple stoves wears off very fast, particularly when you have a tight work schedule, kids to get to bed in the evening, etc.
  7. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Everything is relative. I have a not horrible heating layout as old houses go... But I long for a second bath. I long for actual closets. I long for not hitting my head on the stairwell header. I long for a basement that doesn't require walking around like a hunchback to clear the pipes. I long for space to put the kids toys somewhere other than the living room. I long for more than 3 ft of kitchen counter. :)
    pen likes this.
  8. firecracker_77

Loc:
    I know that it's more work but still...it is nice to have a bunch of fireplaces...whether it's easy to keep them going...you would be the resident experts on these matters!!! :)
  9. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Sounds good. 3 cubic feet should be overnight burn range!!! As long as she isn't smoking the wood like cigarettes!
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I can do an 8 hours burn and end up with a stove top of about 300F. Easy restart. My problem is that I am often away from home for 11 or more hours any given day.
  11. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    It's easier than it has ever been now that I have the large stoves in place. But, it is still a lot of work.