Cast iron insert taken from 100 year old home...need advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jagreen0621

Aug 29, 2010
Central MO
We had to take this insert out of the original fireplace in our 100 year old 2 story home. As you can see it is rusty and unable to be used at this point without some repair and refinish work. I'm including a picture of the fireplace we took it out of and boarded up. We had a significant amount of air that was leaking into our home from the hole. Not sure what to do with the insert itself. Someone suggested we get it sandblasted and repaint it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point. Willing to sell the insert as well, just not sure if we should since it is original to the home.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 418
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 433
Honestly if the chimney was in any way useable I would find a way to get "something" in there. Either an inset or some type of free standing unit. But without knowing all the details there may be some issues with clearance to the wood mantle. Depends a lot on what you decide on.

Now if you just want something cosmetic by all means, block off the chimney, get the old iron cleaned up and painted.

Now for something really creative get a quality liner in the chimney, install a nice modern insert and try to incorporate some of the old insert into the cosmetics of the new one.

Im not sure if fixing the old unit up to where you could burn something in it would be worth the effort

Hey there. That's a nice little coal basket. They burned coal mostly in those small victorian fireplaces. It would be tough to get many wood inserts in there. Often you see people clean those up and repaint them and I suppose they might occasionally burn a log in it or something for ambiance but not really for heat, and you'd want to keep an eye on it. There is someplace on the web I have seen they do refab these for houses like yours, and sell nice gas logs and stuff that retain the victorian look. I'll see if I can find it...

OK that was easy

http://www.gascoals.net/

http://thecustomfireplace.com/gascoalbaskets.html

http://coalbaskets.com/

I think, owing to all the wood trim & mantle, that getting anything safely into that old fireplace other than some sort of gas unit would be pretty tough without pretty much destroying its original character. Restoring the old coal burner looks like it'll take more than just blast & paint. Those are my initial reactions to the pics, but I'm no expert, by any means. Rick

Looks like it has seen better days. It might be possible to visually restored, but I don't know about burning with it. What is the plan? Do you by any chance have natural gas? A nice Valor unit might look good in there.

Thanks Everybody! No, not planning on using it to burn anything in. Looking primarily for cosmetic fixes. The original insert has some nice detail work that would be a shame to remove permanetely from the home.

Tickbitty- I checked out the first link that you suggested and found the Victorian Quarter tile that we could also replace. We covered the existing tile that is still there just under the wood we used to cover the hole up for now. It's a red color. Around the box the tile is in very good condition. The floor of the fireplace has a few that are loose but nothing that can't be fixed pretty easily.

Moderator- We do have natural gas, but we also have another fireplace in the front livingroom that was added in the late 80's/early 90's. Not liking the looks of it also, will post pictures of it later for advice on it. We used to burn wood in it, but I am not a fan of the mess and would rather have a gas insert put into that hole! The hole is in a room that wouldn't need the additional heat source but rather something pretty to look at inside that awesome mantel!

Do any of you know what would be the best way to restore this original insert? Sandblasting and spray painting were our first thoughts but fireplace experts we are not!!!

Thanks for all of your comments, very much appreciated!

You might try a wire brush wheel on a drill motor. That together with a hand wire brush should clean off most of the rust which looks mostly surface. It also looks like a bracket or support has failed on the right side. Something may need to be rigged there to resupport the front on that side.

You might also want to contact some antique restorers like UrbanRemains in Chicago. They restore old coal inserts and may be able to provide some history on it.

http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.